Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extracurricular/field trip needs for homeschoolers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AHC-ALR
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Extracurricular/field trip needs for homeschoolers Reply with quote

Hi there! I work in the Education Department at the Atlanta History Center. We currently have only two programs a year for homeschoolers (topics vary), and we want to expand our homeschool programming. I'm wondering if there are any particular educational needs (extracurricular/field trips, etc.) that are not being met. While we are a history museum, we can easily incorporate some science/technology programs, multi-cultural programs, and so on. History pretty much has a hand in everything. Smile So, I wanted to just reach out and ask what you want or need... for instance, particular subjects or age-specific programming (what about internships for middle- and high schoolers)? Any and all advice, either local or national, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much! --Andrea
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in Atlanta but thought I would add my opinion. Regular classes are always nice. Something done monthly or every two weeks. Something that we can schedule and count on. Providing an outline before hand so we can "study up" is nice. Around here there are things like this at the zoo and science center but nothing from the history center!
AHC-ALR
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your suggestion! We have a regular monthly program for pre-schoolers... I'm not sure why it never occured to us to do the same thing for homeschoolers. I will start exploring the idea right away. Again, thank you so much--that was really helpful!

Does anyone else have any more advice? Thanks! --Andrea
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should do a casual market survey of what else is being offered in your area and then get into the areas that are clearly needed.

Homeschoolers with high school level kids, like science labs, advanced math and more to be offered.

History would pair well with storytelling and therefore, language and performance as well, IMO.

I hope you come up with some great programs for your patrons!

I'm so glad you are thinking of them.
AHC-ALR
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellarStory- I hadn't thought of the storytelling aspect. Many of our exhibits feature diaries and autobiographies, so perhaps a writing workshop.... or maybe an advanced primary document research workshop, since we have a wonderful archives we could use. Great idea!!! I'll see if I can work something like that in to what I've already planned.

In case anyone is interested, I took froggurami's advice, and have now scheduled 9 monthly homeschool programs on a variety of topics. I have also sent emails out to local homeschool groups offering a free one-year family membership to anyone interested in participating in a focus group to help us meet the needs of homeschoolers. Surprisingly, I haven't had any takers on that, yet.

Another question: I decided to only offer monthly programs during the "school year". I did that in part because we offer 6 weeks of summer camp, and I'm not sure how many museum teachers we'll have on hand to work a homeschool event. But also, I don't really know how homeschoolers typically handle the summer months. Do you take those off, or would you like to see year-round programs?

You guys have been a huge help! Thank you so much!
-Andrea
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally look more for socialization things year around than academic things. I have fond memories of summers off from school. I like to give my kids a chance to be bored and lazy!

*smiles*
WHEN
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Atlanta History Center Homeschool Offerings Reply with quote

Andrea,
I have looked at what you are offering and I would love to be part of a focus group. I would like to see some things like the study of farm life that are offered to regular schools. I do like it offered on the same day every month--such as the first monday of the month. It makes it much easier for scheduling field trips.

Dani Merritt
Lawrenceville HS mom of 6
Tashathomson
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extracurricular activities may mean something different for homeschoolers than it does in a school setting. There are a variety of ways to get started with extracurricular activities, some of them has been shortedout below:
1. Fine Arts can incorporate Musical instrument lessons, Singing lessons, Joining a local children’s choir, 2-D and 3-D art classes.
2. Arrange Athletics classes of Golf, Horseback riding, Skiing
3. Foreign language lessons, Volunteer work & Community theatre will enhance there skills.
4.Writing and Communication should be made cumpolsory such as Broadcasting, Debate, Foreign Language Clubs, School newspaper
littlemillennium
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a variety of ways to get started with extracurricular activities at a homeschool, depending on your homeschool’s situation. A good first step is to identify the kinds of extracurricular activities that would be desired. Here is a categorized list of some extracurricular activities that are popular and valuable for homeschoolers
- Fine Arts
- Athletics
- Science/Math

- Astronomy club
- Chess club
- Computer club
- Ecology club
- The Arts
- Drama
- Musical Ensembles
- Needlework
-Team Sports
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: