Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Social Aspect - Apply for homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vrindavan
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Social Aspect - Apply for homeschooling Reply with quote

Hello parents,

i am going to apply for homeschooling for my 8 year old son. I have to draft a letter especially address for the social aspect of the child during homeschooling.

I am not good at persuasive writing. Can you help me regarding this ?

Related information is appreciated too.

Thanks
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any state that requires a persuasive letter on the social aspects of homeschooling. All you usually have to do is notify the school system that your child is going to be homeschooled.

What state are you from?
Vrindavan
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not from US
i am from Hong Kong
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a book coming out the end of July that talks about this:

The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling

That might help.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look in our Homeschool vs Public school area, you'll find links to statistics (some of which are on socialization), as well as plenty of discussion threads on the topic. It all boils down to this, though - public school does not have good socialization (or if it does, you're probably not spending enough time studying), and extracurriculars are where the good socialization is found. Since homeschoolers can finish their regular schoolwork in half the time of public schoolers, that leaves them a lot more time for extracurriculars, therefore their socialization should be better, not worse. This assumes, of course, that they make the effort to go out and do things with their extra time.

Socialization is really a lousy argument against homeschooling. It's easy to get plenty of good socialization, assuming you're motivated enough to make the effort, and there are plenty of public schoolers who sit in school for eight hours a day, surrounded by dozens or hundreds of other kids, and still have no friends. And even if you do have plenty of friends in school, all you're learning is how to interact with other kids, since the adult-child ratio is so low, and that won't help you much when it comes to college or the business world. Extracurriculars at least have more adults and (usually) more mature kids, so they're better at building the socialization skills you're actually going to need.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to write a persuasive letter in order to homeschool, include all of the ways that your child(ren) will be around and interacting with other children. write about the people that they will see, family, friends, activities, groups, clubs, interacting with people that you see while you do your everyday activities, the store, the post office, walks around the area. Think of all the ways that you will see people and that is the best socialization that your child can get, multi generational, (all ages). That is real life, talking to people of ALL ages.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Vrindavan
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, it is really helpful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: