Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Highschool requirements for college

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nep
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Highschool requirements for college Reply with quote

Is there somewhere (preferrably online) where I can find the basic courses of study required for college transfer- e.g.- high school science subjects that should be taken? I understand when the time comes that testing is a good way to show proof of what has been learned but I am interested in knowing which specific studies I should be looking into for them so I can have a foundation to work from in the highschool years.

I feel like I have seen these things before, but cannot find them now that I want to (of course)- help would be appreciated.

nicole
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: The courses you need to take will vary... Reply with quote

Well, the amount of anything you need to take, even core subjects, is going to vary from college to college and major to major. The various states also have different high school graduation requirements. What state are you in, what major are you looking into, and what colleges are you considering?

That having been said, you want at least two of physical science, biology, chemistry, and physics. You also want math up through at least algebra 2 (advanced math or pre-calc is better), American history and state history plus at least one additional history course (in my case, European history), assorted humanities (whatever you need to prepare for the CLEP humanities exam, primarily art appreciation), and of course a good knowledge of reading / writing / language arts.
nep
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That is what I was looking for- the basics. We will likely not be in this state (Maryland) when high school time comes, but I like to have a general outline to keep in mind when I come across curriculums/texts and such so I can refer to it when the time comes. I guess it is the way my brain works.

Am I understanding right, that generally it is not until high school that a specialization starts cropping up?

nicole
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you have certain colleges in mind, but it might be best to call them and ask what they'll accept as well. They have some strange rules for homeschoolers. I personally had to take both the ACT and SAT (while most of the other students had to take the SAT only) for the college I wanted to attend, this was all the "proof" they really needed.
Princess_Fyara
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Accelerated Distance Learning: The New Way To Earn Your College Degree In The 21st Century" by Brad Voeller. "Comex General CLEP Reviews", and the "Home School Special Report" available through Global Learning Strategies.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: It is of course always a good idea to call your college... Reply with quote

It is of course always a good idea to call your prospective college(s) well in advance, so you know what their requirements and prereqs are. You'll feel pretty stupid if you discover at the last minute that they require, for instance, three science courses rather than two Smile Or if they require standardized test results in certain core subjects rather than a homeschool transcript.
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. and the last thing we want is for homeschooling parents (or students) to feel stupid!
nep
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the added info!- I think the specifics will have to wait until my kids are a bit older (they are only 5 1/2, 4, and 2)- but I wanted an outline of the years ahead. I know it will adjust as time goes on, but it gives me a view of the broader scope. Also, as I do not plan on using one program or curriculumn across the board, I will be able to make notes and such along the way. That probably gives a better view of how far off I am to the next stage of details. Thanks again for the advice and info!

nicole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: