Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Child who struggles with spelling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rara1988
User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Child who struggles with spelling Reply with quote

I have an 11 year old who struggles with spelling. She does very well in her other subjects. She was in the public school system until 3rd grade. She does well with spelling tests and such (good short term memory), but when she writes papers or paragraphs, her memory of how to spell basic words is sometimes horific. Any suggestions to a curriculum....I think I will have to go back and do some basic phonics with her again? We used Abeka (although their spelling was too hard for her) and used A Reason For last year
Thanks rara1988
4given
User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're talking about my 11yo son.

For the next school year, I am doing away with spelling tests altogether. We will be doing lots of reading, together and independently. We will supplement with various writing activities. I will correct his spelling errors and we will just keep plugging along.

I am a fairly decent speller and I am convinced that it is not due to having spelling tests. As a kid, I read everything I could get my hands on. My hope is that this approach will help my son. Smile
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too did very little formal spelling, but a whole pile of reading.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was frustrated for some time about spelling and my son. He too could do well on tests but did not retain and apply the correct spellings to his writing.

Eventually I decided this had to be due to a maturity issue. So I stopped frustrating us both needlessly. For the past two years I've let him study his spelling book on his level entirely on his own. I have not made sure he did it either.

At somewhere between 9-18 weeks, at my convenience, I give him the spelling placement test for his grade. If he passes it with an A or a B he is done. If he doesn't he has more work to do this year.

For the past two years he has passed it with flying colors. This year I saw better spelling in his written work. I believe maturity at 14 has finally kicked in for him.

Stellar
ccrdh82
User

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: placement tests Reply with quote

Where do you find these placement tests?
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the library used book store I found Spelling Power for 50 cents. It has placement tests, and a whole spelling curriculum for all grades in it.

If you're interested, I'd look for it used, maybe on e-bay or something, because googling it, shows it to be rather expensive $60 or so new.

Stellar
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest son, who does well in other subjects, has struggled in spelling. The past year his spelling has improved a lot. I found that traditional spelling books did absolutely NO good with him. He could remember them for the test and then promptly for get the words the next time he wrote them. I found a couple of things that helped. One was Apples for Spelling, which is a spelling book with no tests, just a lot or practice. I also had him start writing on the computer and using spell check. After correcting the same word a few times he would remember.
rara1988
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you to all of you who have replied. It all helps. I was thinking of having her do more reading with me. Does anyone recommend a computer game(s) that is (are) fun, yet challenge them with spelling? Thanks RaRa
MelN2LilMen
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son has this same problem. He spells everything phonetically.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MelN2LilMen wrote:
My son has this same problem. He spells everything phonetically.

I always had problems with phonetic spelling because for me and my son we have a problem hearing differentials in sounds at times.

Stellar
Lee_Queen
User

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

rara1988 wrote:
Thank you to all of you who have replied. It all helps. I was thinking of having her do more reading with me. Does anyone recommend a computer game(s) that is (are) fun, yet challenge them with spelling? Thanks RaRa

I use Zaner-Bloser https://www.zaner-bloser.com/spelling/zaner-bloser-spelling-connections-overview for my spelling curriculum, but they do have new technology resources that I think are great to use as 'computer games.'

You should browse the website for an overview, but here's a link to their Spelling Connections Online Edition: https://www.spellingconnectionsonline.com/

Good luck! Very Happy
Tashathomson
User

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the age of 11 years it's difficult to handle. But as you mentioned that She does very well in her other subjects if good sing of student. Don't try experiment on it. Is normal issue. Just focus on to help her to get out of this. You should try to do some basic phonics with her. It will help her definitely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: