Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for reading list suggestions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Looking for reading list suggestions Reply with quote

This school year coming up, I am planning a whole new approach in L.Arts. We will be dropping formal grammar, spelling, and vocabulary. We will be focusing on lots of reading, as well as, journaling and writing some essays. This is where we were heading, naturely. Also, I have taken much of Theodore's comments about grammar, etc. to heart. And since he is so well spoken, I'm convinced.

Now, I would like to hear from others... what's on your reading list? My two oldest sons are entering 6th and 4th grades. Anything from classics to comics...

Thanks,
Sheila
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are piles of classics and fun books you could try. Here's a few to get you started, in no particular order:

Swiss Family Robinson
Island of the Blue Dolphin
Where the Red Fern Grows
Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
The Wheel on the School
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Borrowers
The Railway Children
Hardy Boys
Pippi Longstocking
Freddy the Pig (we sell these, if your library doesn't have them)
Tintin (one of the best comic book series ever)
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great list! I knew you'd have some great suggestions. I thought I might start the year with The Chronicles of Narnia. They were favorites of mine when I was about their age.

Thanks Very Happy
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still read them occasionally Smile
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great History book list. The entries are also coded by grade level.

http://www.abookintime.com/
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my third grader loves the box car children.
I go to a lot of tag sales and love to pick up older books. we talk a lot about how things have changed since the book was written, and i love the fact that the morals of the people in the stories are so much better than some of the books that are written today.

If you google search "book lists" you can find some interesting books too.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
4given
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My third-grader loves the boxcar series, as well. He'll sit and read the whole book in one day. Thanks for the suggestions Smile

Sheila
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronicles of Narnia (usually viewed as Christian lit, but we are not Christian and have enjoyed the books. C.S. Lewis did a fantastic job at leaving the book open to interpretation regardless of which way your beliefs swing) and Series of Unfortunate Events (a little dark, but who doesn't love a dark tale every now and then? Razz . Both good series and looooong - should keep the kiddos busy for a while. Very Happy

Eragon is another good one if your family has a fantasy bend like ours does. Eldest is good, so I've heard - haven't read that for myself yet.

The Giver is a good one (I believe it's written for early adolescents) and it's very thought provoking too.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr do little, and Rudyard Kippling, James Harriot, If you like fantasy, RA Salvatore is wonderful. The many Drizzt series, are wonderful and that is what got my husband to like reading when he was a kid.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Doolittle is great, so is Jungle Book, and the All Creatures Great and Small book series by James Harriot is a classic. Wonderful suggestions there Smile I also liked Eragon quite a bit - it was written by a homeschooler Christopher Paolini, who started writing the book at age 15 and actually beat out the Harry Potter books for #1 on the New York Times bestsellers list.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
I also liked Eragon quite a bit - it was written by a homeschooler Christopher Paolini, who started writing the book at age 15 and actually beat out the Harry Potter books for #1 on the New York Times bestsellers list.

He has the third book coming out at some point - title and release date are currently unknown.
4given
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome! I really appreciate all the input. Can hardly wait to dig in... Very Happy
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reading List Reply with quote

Scholastic.com has a nice site.Does your library have a summer reading program? My daughter loves that.
knobren
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calla_Dragon wrote:
Eragon is another good one if your family has a fantasy bend like ours does. Eldest is good, so I've heard - haven't read that for myself yet.

Personally, I enjoyed Eldest more than Eragon.

Also, if they like dragons, The Dragonriders of Pern by Ann MacCaffrey are a good series.
knobren
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of Terry Pratchett's books are geared toward children. The Tiffany Aching books have the witch characters (Granny and Nanny) and the Nac Mac Feegle from his Discworld series, but are written for a younger audience. These include The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith. Pratchett also wrote The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents and The Bromeliad Trilogy (Truckers, Diggers, and Wings). I love Terry Pratchett Exclamation

The Heroic Adventure of Hercules Amsterdam by Melissa Glenn Haber

In the Keep of Time (1977) by Margaret J. Anderson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: