Laundry/Allergies

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

Regina Hogsten

Laundry/Allergies

Postby Regina Hogsten » Wed May 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Washing the laundry in hot water (140 degrees) kills 100% of allergy causing dust mites...
There is other laundry/allergy information if you want to search.
http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=604711

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed May 23, 2007 9:53 pm

Hmm. If dust mites on your clothes are that big a problem, wouldn't the major concern be the dust mites floating around in the air? It's dust mite poop that causes allergies, and while it can cause itching and rashes on your skin, it's mainly only harmful if you breathe it in. Homes with a lot of dust or dander or mold floating around in the air can cause asthma.

Interesting article, but unless you bathe yourself in dust first, I doubt cooking your clothes is going to prevent asthma. Cleaning your house of dust is far more important.

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:19 pm

My son wants to know what I am chuckling about. Your response makes better sense especially for those with asthma. But, dust mites are those same critters who inhabit bed linens eating dead skin cells and pooping on the warmed sheets. I have enough trouble staying asleep. I don't want to itch and scratch. I try to wash the linens once a week, but that doesn't always happen. And the kids!. They are old enough to wash their own.

peter_scotch
User

dust mites

Postby peter_scotch » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:09 pm

OK friend, I can clean my cloths with 140 degrees water to kill those dust dust mites. But how do I kill them when they are over my furnitures? Actually I can see tiny little mites crawling over furniture etc - they look like dust mites but i have read that dust mites cannot be seen by the naked eye - what can they be then??

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:10 pm

If you can see them, there's all sorts of things they could be. Maybe lice? If so, you're in big trouble.

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:38 pm

Maybe they are spider mites which can be red, brown, or black. I have an infestation in my Dwarf Alberta Spruce. I found out by placing a piece of paper under the spuce and shaking it. The dead needles fell on the paper. I could not "see" the mites, but I could see movement on the paper.
I don't think all mites are microscopic.

If the bugs are jumping, then you might want to get something to kill fleas.
Wear white socks around the house and if they are in the carpet, you will see them on the socks and from which room.

Collect some to take to an exterminator.

Do a search on household insects and find some images.

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”