short term homeschooling

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

pths
User

short term homeschooling

Postby pths » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:22 pm

I'm writing an article about short-term homechooling for a parenting magazine. I have a lot of anecdotal evidence from parents in Virginia, but I'm wondering about families in other parts of the country who have embarked on homeschooling as a one or two year endeavor. (Or even one semester.) For those who've tried it: Why do it for the short term, what was your experience like, how does the short-term mode differ from traditional homeschooling? And for the full-time homeschoolers out there, do you think that homeschooling for a year, to supplement the public schools, or just give a child a break, works well?

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Sorry I missed this one as well and will give you the input I can from my
perspective.

We were going to home-school short term, since we were semi-happy
with the private school the kids were in, and my schedule is insane at best.

What we found, however, was that our children did so much better learning
here at home that we just kept at it.
They are not only learning more academically, but they are able to add
more music to their day.
As an added benefit, my daughter has become more outgoing in the interim.

So we sort of switched from short to long term, and I just deal with my
schedule.

*shrugs*

As to what I would think of someone homeschooling short term.. if that is
what the kids need then they should have at it. :)

Mark

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:41 pm

My family plans to homeschool for a short time - just one year. We are quite happy with our local public school. It's very small and cozy in a rural setting with just under 300 children. What we aren't happy with is my husband's schedule. He is an airline pilot with very little seniority for picking his schedule, so he works most weekends. We are tired of not having family time together. So... we'll finish out this school year, and next year when our kids are in 2nd, 3rd, and 5th grades, we'll take a year off from the regular school calendar and homeschool.

Our plan is to school through the weekend since Dad is usually gone. We'll take our days off during the week when he gets his days off. His schedule totally varies so it's never even the same days during the week. He often times will fly 5 days in a row, then be home for 4 days in a row! When that happens we plan to take advantage of the benefit of his job and fly somewhere! I plan to teach US History to all three kids for Social Studies so that we can learn while we travel to Boston to see the North Church and walk the Freedom Trail, to Philadelphia to see the Liberty Bell and Washington D.C to visit the White House and the Capitol and all the wonderful museums and monuments!

This Fall we will be able to camp further into the season with our new schedule. We plan to take a road trip with our trailer in tow to see Mt. Rushmore, and another to see the Grand Canyon! We are already so excited for a year of freedom and family time while we learn!

Our decision is purely a Family issue - we want to fee like one again!
milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:47 pm

I forgot to say that the reason we are only going to homeschool for one year is that in a year's time we are assuming that my husband will have enough seniority to begin to gain some control over his schedule. For that reason, I've carefully researched the district standards and want to be sure to keep the kids closely aligned with them so as to make their transition back to school easier.

In addition, we plan to try to stay connected at school and attend school events and performances when we are in town. My oldest wants to be a part of the school choir, and she can since they meet before school and perform after school. Traveling will be the only problem in consistently making practices.

All my homeschool friends tell me we won't WANT to return to public after a year of homeschool. Time will tell. I used to teach elementary school so I'm really looking forward to teaching my own children!

We live in Colorado.
milehimom

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

pths
User

short-term homeschooling

Postby pths » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks to those of you who have shared your thoughts about short-term homeschooling. If you're interested, my feature article on the subject is available now at the Brain,Child website. Sorry I don't have the link handy. Isabel Lyman includes it at her Homeschool Revolution Blog. To Mark--I know several parents like you who found their homeschooling so successful they just kept going for the long term. As for me, I might become an intermittent homeschooler--doing it with one child for a year here and there. I'm not ready for a permanent commitment. And to the pilot's family--what a great story you have. That's the most interesting reason for short-term homeschooling that I've heard.

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”