Where do you Homeschool?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

What room/space do you Home School in mainly?

Kitchen/ Kitchen table
37%
Family room
21%
Kid(s) bedroom(s)
No votes
Dining Room
11%
No set place
32%

Total votes: 19

GeekyMom
User

Where do you Homeschool?

Postby GeekyMom » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:52 pm

Just curious, where do you guys HS in terms of room or space in your home?

I think our dining room is a waste of space with the yearly dinner that we use it for. But because it houses the formal dining furniture, it's not a clean slate that I would like to have to turn into more of a class room setting, if I were to go in that direction.

Plus, I was told by one of my HS'ing friends that sometimes siblings don't do well in the same room, at least not her two sons,

Any comments...
Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, an Opportunity!

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:46 pm

We used the kitchen table for things that needed, well, a table :-) Otherwise, we learned stuff all over the house.

As far siblings not getting along, that's a character issue, and there needs to be something going on to help them learn to be together, as opposed to finding ways to keep them apart, KWIM?

keptwoman
User

Postby keptwoman » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:50 am

We have a dedicated school room area off our kitchen.
Sandra, Homeschooling Mum in Australia

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:57 am

I have a dedicated play/school room but that's mostly for storing all our toys/school stuff. We mostly like to do schoolwork at the living room coffee table sitting on the floor. On nice days, we'll drag a blanket outside and do schoolwork picnic style. We'll do schoolwork pretty much anywhere it strikes our fancy lol.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:51 pm

The kids work on their own, in their rooms where they have a desk, computer and bookcase some of the time.

They work with me at the dining table, on the couch, their rooms, my room, and while on drives or outings as things come up and time permits.

Stellar

iamnettie
User

Postby iamnettie » Tue May 01, 2007 6:53 pm

I would say 99% of the time we work in the kitchen although we have been known to be in just about any place in the house doing our school work.

Ramona
User

Re: Where do you Homeschool?

Postby Ramona » Wed May 02, 2007 6:52 pm

My bed, living room, family room, front porch, kitchen island, guest room, dining room table, back patio, car, van, kids' rooms, bathroom, front lawn, public library, church, town parks, etc. When we moved here I set up a table in its own corner of the large family room with a whiteboard, globe, bookshelves, and educational decor. We used it for about 3 days. LOL! DH works in the family room and doing school in the same room made me feel like I was being "observed" by a boss--very intimidating. (He was actually paying no attention to us at all.)

I generally have each kid do his/her own work in a separate room as they tend to spend a lot of time chit-chatting when together. But most of their work is not independent assignments, so they do spend a lot of time working and learning together in various-size groups all day.

Ramona

Kimberly
User

Postby Kimberly » Sat May 05, 2007 10:52 am

We use the table for most of our schooling. However we usually have reading time on the couch. Also, the older children will often find some quiet little corner to work on their own.
Wife of my best friend (for 20 years) and Homeschooling Mom to three boys (ages 15, 11 and 9) and two girls (ages 8 and 6).

Return to “Getting Started”