Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you use for Math?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Math Program do you use or recommend?
Horizons
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Math u see
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Singapore
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Other, please list
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 19

iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Alpha Omega's Life Pac for Grade K and 1 and are this fall changing to Saxon.
andall
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very new to homeschool and I am using A2 and multiplication.com for math. My 2 boys both need to learn their x tables in order to go on to divisions and everything else.
keptwoman
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellarStory wrote:
MUS is what my kids like best of the things we've tried. It is set up for the parent to do a lot of instruction which I don't have the time to do.

I don't find it teacher intensive at all, rather than me watching the DVD and then teaching the material DS watches it, then does his work. I find he can work really independently with it.
Everyone else I know who uses it does this also.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keptwoman wrote:
StellarStory wrote:
MUS is what my kids like best of the things we've tried. It is set up for the parent to do a lot of instruction which I don't have the time to do.

I don't find it teacher intensive at all, rather than me watching the DVD and then teaching the material DS watches it, then does his work. I find he can work really independently with it.
Everyone else I know who uses it does this also.

My daughter does it that way. My son is more of a challenge though. He requires instruction from someone.

Actually, now that I think about it, we rarely use the DVD. I think none of us like that part of the material. We only use it if we don't understand something and can't figure it out any other way.

Stellar
keptwoman
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's what I love about MUS, it has something for every learning style, we think the DVD guy is funny Laughing
Isn't it great that no matter what our needs, there is a curriculum out there to suit everyone.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keptwoman wrote:
I think that's what I love about MUS, it has something for every learning style, we think the DVD guy is funny Laughing
Isn't it great that no matter what our needs, there is a curriculum out there to suit everyone.

I agree! I like a flexible curriculum because we are all different.

*smiles*

Stellar
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plug for MUS. I pulled my dd from 3rd grade just this past January and she was struggling terribly with math/multiplication (add until now undiagnosed dyslexia to the situation and she was beginning to think she was "just stupid" in school.) Even with the dyslexia, she breezed through the Gamma level in 4 months and is starting Delta (division/4th grade) next week.

Our routine is that we sit and watch the DVD together (meaning, no prep time for me and we both enjoy watching the guy teach, he has some amazing "tricks" and it's only 5-10 minutes) then we work with the blocks/manipulatives as directed for another 5-15 minutes after (depending on how fun it seemed on the lesson), then she does a page that day. Over the next two days she does more of the worksheets and if she has no problems, takes the test and we move on. It makes her feel very successful!

One of the things I really like about it is that there isn't a lot of busy work (unrelated to the lesson but "math" nonetheless kind of things) and the worksheets are clear and clean (no distracting pictures, colors, or "discussion" points and the directions are SIMPLE.) The lesson worksheets thoroughly cover the current lesson without throwing additional stuff at them and then the review pages reinforce everything. I'm not certain how other kids work, but for my dyslexic dd, clear and clean makes for a much more focused child. Wink Hope this helps!
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Horizons (K through 2nd), Bob Jones, (3rd and 4th) and after that Saxon.
DESmom
User

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miquon for my oldest, she loved it, she is starting Saxon now.
Horizon for my 2nd last year.

MCP Math starting next year for my 2nd and my 3rd.
Then they will mostlikly go to Saxon too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: