Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Came across this in my homeschool research....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momofone
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Came across this in my homeschool research.... Reply with quote

This is from a response about why children should be learning in kindergarten....

"They are all there to learn how to work with each other and together, to learn limits, respect, and even a little discipline, and-- most importantly--from an authority figure who is not a parent"

The part about "not a parent". Why do they need discipline from an authority figure who is not a parent? Neutral
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because school officials believe that kids need to "get away" from their parents. I've heard the same stuff from my MIL who is a 2nd grade teacher - gotta "break the cord" and that the only way to do that is to send them off to school for 6-8 hours a day.

Of course we know that's not true, but this is what most school officials truly believe and they believe they are the only ones qualified to accompllish all those tasks.
momofone
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of philosophy is that!? Shouldn't we be advocates of keeping kids close to family?

I am sitting here shaking my head.

Thanks for the quick response, btw. Very Happy Your MIL must loooooove you! LOL
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because an official, state-approved authority figure will fill the kids' heads with the right sorts of propaganda, rather than than nutso things like morals and patriotism and so on. And a badly educated child turns into a more easily controlled grownup.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they aren't. They have an agenda to push in their school and they resent interference from parents - usally Christian parents. Their agenda is one of tolerance (which sounds good on the surface), but it's a manipulation of the morals. They teach questionable morals like "if it feels good, it must be right" and "nothing is wrong, it's all subjective". Again, that works in some situations, but most of the time it just backfires. Schools rarely believe in personal accountablity for one's actions. Basically, they're trying to train the kids that government is good, government will take care of them and training them in the beliefs that make a compliant citizen. If kids don't meet their standards for appropriate attitudes, they get remediated until they tell the schools what they want to hear.

Parents (especially religious parents) are a roadblock to accomplishing this, but since the schools have them for more hours a day than the parents do, they often end up accomplishing this task.

Some schools use techniques to turn kids against their parents and they administer questionnaires to ask the kids the beliefs, income, and actions of their parents which all goes into a database.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well spoken Calla_Dragon.
momofone
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calla_Dragon wrote:
Their agenda is one of tolerance (which sounds good on the surface), but it's a manipulation of the morals. They teach questionable morals like "if it feels good, it must be right" and "nothing is wrong, it's all subjective".

Hmm, I always took the "tolerance" differently. Tolerate.... as in allow others to do as they choose in their personal life, but I choose not to.

Though, I understand and agree with what you are saying in what children are taught by their peers at school. It's evident in every school.

I would have said that it's not the teachers, but we had (true story) our "health" (sex ed) teacher explain to the class on how to manipulate birth control pills. Most of the girls responded that they already knew about it and my jaw hit the floor. This was 11th grade and I had never even SEEN a birth control pill (I was the prude.... I guess.)! Shocked Absolutely true story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: