Dont want IEP services-can i say no???

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MommyT
User

Dont want IEP services-can i say no???

Postby MommyT » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 am

cartersmom
User

Postby cartersmom » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:57 pm

Every place appears to interpret the law differently but you can, as a parent, usually refuse services, especially if it has been proven (like in the incidents you mentioned) that the school is not effective in the way they are trying to provide these services. This *may* help: http://www.ahem.info/HSandSPED.htm

If you really get a fight refusing services, why do the K12 curriculum? That way you can outright refuse any intervention from the schools.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:37 am

You, as the parent, have the right to modify your child's IEP, at any time. If you want the services provided by someone else, that is your right. Some states will make you pay for it, and others will pay for it for you. Just say that you want to have a meeting to modify your IEP, and then tell them your plan. When they change it, if you don't like it you don't sign it, they can't implement an IEP without your signature. You should talk to a lawyer to know the laws in your state but this should true in all states because off the Federal law involving special needs children.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

cartersmom
User

Postby cartersmom » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:09 pm

I believe that schools can implement an IEP without your signature. They send a letter to the home that is called an Intent to Implement IEP, if you do not respond within a certain amount of time, they implement it and say that you were notified. This is in the case of a parent that will not respond. However, if you actively oppose something in the IEP they cannot implement the IEP. Threaten to take the IEP through "due process" and they almost always back off.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”