Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What room do you HS in?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
napper
User

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HS in my living room, we have a computer there so I can take a small break on the computer playing a game and then just close down the game and get right back to work. Very Happy
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: HS Room Reply with quote

Although my older brother and I are basically self-taught, we sometimes HS at the dining room table. It is large enough for us both to use, but considering we often get in arguments (as teenagers do), we mainly do our work where ever we feel comfortable. For me, it is usually the dining room table, and my brother goes where he likes. I can concentrate more when I am separated from other people.
jan
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: HI! Reply with quote

Mostly the kitchen,couch or on one of the beds. Once in awhile the front porch or the car. The yard or even Grandmas house at times. I would ,however love to have a special room just for HSing or atleast just for all of our accumulated HS things ,books ,ect...

<>< <>< <>< <><
Pam
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We closed in the garage and finished it off for a dining room, school room and office, etc. We do most of our work there, but have been known to used the floor..... the couch....... the woods....... the knoll that overlooks the apple trees....... the street...... you name it.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HI! Reply with quote

jan wrote:
...kitchen,couch...beds. ...front porch...car...yard... Grandmas house.... I would ,however love to have a special room just for HSing...

I used to look for the perfect schoolroom when we were househunting, but now I'd just as soon not have one. It might make me feel like I ought to use it, and I'd rather not be limited to doing educational things in that one space. I do like to have a designated "home" for all the supplies, but then again, a lot of things get moved around all the time because they're in use all the time, and for many different purposes--not just for those 4 daily hours required by the state. Smile

Ramona
Pam
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of our classes are held right at their desks....... and the only reason I got them desks was because they were tearing apart my dining room table by sitting on it, leaning across it, etc. The legs of the table were getting very wobbly...... so we bought them desks to keep their books in and it has worked out wonderfully. The table was saved. lol.

My favorite place to teach is on the floor....... its just so comfy and we get down there with pillows and books and stuff and do our history/greek myths/and other classes.
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We keep our books in the laundry room, lined up on a shelf that is about neck-high. That's the first place we go when we get started on our schoolwork. I usually run in, grab the planner and the textbooks I will need for the day, then sit down in the quiet dining room at the table and begin my work. Sitting at a big table to do my schoolwork is one thing I enjoy about homeschooling. Tiny cramped desks at public schools aren't my thing. I like to have some arm room, you know? Very Happy
laurabeth
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My children are only 4, and almost 7, but we school in our living room only at this point except obvious detours like field trips and science nature walks etc. I have a hard time staying organized, and my dd is very easily distracted so right now we have to have that regularity. We have a nice big bookshelf on one wall with our curriculum books, and the children's personal library's, and we have a good sized closet in the room to hold mommy supplies, craft supplies, etc. I have a good sized white board on the wall, and we have a child size table and chairs that we can easily move around the room for different lessons. We also make good use of the floor and couches for reading and more. I had an old but small computer given to us for them that I have set up on a small rolling cart so it can be rolled out for there computer time and put away easily when we are done with it. I also have a rolling file cabinet that I use for my school files, both used and to be used things. I would love to have a separate room for school but not only do I not have the room, but I also think I would be less tidy if I could just shut the door. As I saw somewhere, I too have a borderline neat freak husband so I try very hard to have a home for everything.
momagator
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we started home-schooling we had changed half of our rec-room into a school room, a couple of years later (due to needing the space for our business) we moved the school room into the dining room - this was not a good idea for us (the lack of space for all of our stuff was very annoying, not to mention very hard on my dining room table!). We have since converted the spare bedroom into a school room and it is the perfect place for us. The closet no longer has doors on it and we have a bookcase in there, my hubby put in loads of shelves for the rest of our books and "stuff" and we even have a futon in there for guests (and for the dog to lie on while we are working Rolling Eyes ) Its not a huge room but you would be suprised at how much you can get into a room and still get around if you want to!!! Razz

Even though we have the room we don't use it for everything - we do our devotionals and evening reading in the living room, the computers are in the rec-room and if the kids need a break from one another there is always the kitchen table!
mamaofmany
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mornings we all gather in the play room, I have desks set up there and book shelves, posters on wall ect.. that way the little ones are confined and supervised. ( otherwise they would destroy the house).
In the afternoons little ones nap so we do school on the couch.
We tried everyone at the kitchen table, but with so many little ones they got easily bored so we found this works better for us.
ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: A Table for One Reply with quote

We started homeschooling our then only child four years ago. At first, we kept a shelf in our very small living room. Actual schooling was done at the museum where I was employed as Education Coordinator. I created a schedule for us, and for the most part, we stayed on track.

Two years ago, we moved to a larger house, and I became a full time stay at home homeschoolin' mama. The spare bedroom became the office/classroom. Our schedule became less rigid, and my daughter began to enjoy school more.

Now, after an eleven year gap, we have a new baby. There is no more office/classroom. We changed from textbooks to Switched-On Schoolhouse to accomadate my new role as nursing mother, since there is less grading, and one on one teaching. There is also no record keeping for me.

My sixth grader does her lessons at the dining room table, under the dining room table (I can't explain this one) or in her room. She uses a laptop for the most part, but to preserve her handwriting skills, I require that she handwrite reports and essays. There are quite a few opportunities for handwriting with this curriculum.

Sheila
Pushing 40 with a 4 month old
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under things is one of the best places to work! under the bed, the tables, in forts made of blankets. The smaller space helps children not feel so overwhelmed, they can control there "little area" better than a whole room.
That is MHO at least.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
milehimom
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our first (on only year) homeschooling (another story in itself!). We made a school room in our basement. For the first 3 months, we schooled there pretty strictly. The kids have their own desks (30 year old scool desks purchased for $5 each from a closing Denver school). THey thought they were pretty cool at first. Once the cold weather set in, though, we school upstairs by the fireplace (we live in Colorado - it would be a sin to not sit by a nice warm fire on a snowy day!), or they like to go in their rooms to work when doing independent work.

Working upstairs in our regular living space is nice, cuz it's cozier, I can get small chores done more easily in between lessons. HOWEVER, I had the 'schoolroom' all organized with places for everything, tubs, drawers. This whole past week (snowed three times!) we've been upstairs all week. This means I constantly have four stacks of books & things(one for each of us!) strung across the kitchen island or bar. Luckily we have a HUGE kitchen... but the clutter bugs me. What I like about schooling int he basement, is that when the school day is over, we walk upstairs, and the house is still in order, as I left it when we walked downstairs!

Still, working by the fire, reading aloud by the fire... even watching educational dvds... it really just makes the day for me!
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the kids. My older one likes to take off and do independent stuff in my room on my big bed. She likes the quiet and can concentrate in there. Her younger sister needs to be at the kitchen table and w/in earshot of me at all times. I could never send her off for even a few minutes to work by herself.
Jill
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All over the house. Living room, bedrooms, basement, kitchen, sunporch, playroom, outside....you name it, we've probably done school there.

We read ALOT on the couch in the living room. That probably comprises the bulk of our "school" time.

The majority of our "seatwork" (mostly math) is done in the kitchen on the island or at our "kitchen" table, which acutally isn't in the kitchen, but in a room just outside the kitchen.

We started in the basement (where I keep most of our books) but found that I could get some things done (dishes, laundry) and the kids were better at working independently if I was in sight, but not hovering over them.

I have moved a few heavily used books upstairs to that area, and left the others in the basement because we are down there alot too.

The yard and the community work well too.

We actually spend very little time at the table which suits us all just fine. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: