Easy Books

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momo3boys
User

Easy Books

Postby momo3boys » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:42 am

I am having a hard time finding books that my third grader would like. He has a learning disability, so his reading level is about 1/2 grade level. My friend had this great idea. Have him make his own. He has a hard time writing as well, so he dictates to me, I write down sentences on blank pages, then he has to read and illustrate. It's going well so far. It isn't a baby book, because he wrote it, and it is in his "language" so he can read it easier. You can use power point to. That's a fun way to do it.

If you have any other ideas, I would love them. But I though I would share this one too.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Kimberly
User

Postby Kimberly » Sat May 05, 2007 10:06 pm

What a great idea! I may just try this with my LD child. He struggles so much with reading but if he made his own books, I am quite sure he would enjoy them more. I don't have any other ideas, but I do love yours!
Wife of my best friend (for 20 years) and Homeschooling Mom to three boys (ages 15, 11 and 9) and two girls (ages 8 and 6).

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon May 21, 2007 9:58 pm

I like this site:

http://www.bookadventure.com/

You can search books by grade level starting with kindergarten.

I then search our library data base for the books.

There are all kinds of neat features like looking for the genre you child tends to like, prizes they can earn and so on.

I do like the idea of writing your own books though. You can't go wrong with that. I often did that with my kids particularly when they faced something difficult for which there was no book.

HTH,

Stellar

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”