Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4-H, Heritage Girls, Girl Scouts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jill
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to this, and this is an old topic, but I figured I'd reply anyway.

We have done Girl Scouts, Keepers of the Faith, and 4H.

I was a Girl Scout, and so was my oldest daughter. I didn't like the emphasis they put on the cookie sales, (much more than when I was a kid) but the projects were good. Also, some of their materials were a little too "liberal" for our family.

Keepers was good, and very similar to Girl Scouts with a Christian emphasis. No selling was a bonus. Even though my girls aren't aren't in a "group" anymore, we contiune to use the book ideas for projects and you can order the badges even if you aren't in a group (if you want them.)

I am surprised no one has mentioned the public speaking aspect of 4H. I would say this is one of the best reasons to be involved. Also, community service seems to be "pushed" more than in the other two groups.

You don't have to be in a "club" to participate - you can be a "member at large" and still work on projects and speeches and enter their competitions (for 9 years and up). The other commentator was correct. It's not all animals anymore.

Quote:
I would say the difference between 4H and Girl Scouts is that GS is very structured and badge oriented whereas, 4H is more flexible. Anything that your kids are interested in doing 4H will find a way to give them an outlet for it.

Very true. This is good, and at the same time makes it necessary to make sure you get in a group that is well organized with a vision and parents who are willing to help and participate. Our club focuses on public speaking, but studies other subjects to provide a springboard for our speeches.
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: