what math after Jacobs?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

usbells
User

what math after Jacobs?

Postby usbells » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:17 am

My son used Jacobs Elementary Algebra successfully in 9th grade and this year is using Jacobs' Geometry. We have been very happy with both, but now I can't figure out what to use for Algebra 2.
Sue

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu May 03, 2007 8:08 am

From what I've read Teaching Textbooks is very good. We are going to be using Math U See for Algebra 2 this year though. I can't get the kids to switch from it to anything else.

Stellar

Bob Hazen

Postby Bob Hazen » Fri May 04, 2007 5:23 am

There are a lot of good Algebra 2 texts out there, most of which use graphing calculators, which are a very good and very powerful tool for Alg.2 kids to learn and practice how to use. Many of these texts are not published with homeschoolers in mind, and many of them are infected with political correctness, but sometimes you have to eat the fish and spit out the bones. Try some of the main publishers - Merrill, Hartcourt, etc.
I've always liked Saxon Alg.2 - broad, thorough, good review. One downside is the lack of graphing calculator work. But supplemental graphing calculator booklets are out there, too, so keep that in mind.
As always, also check with other local homeschoolers and see what they've used and why - you'll get lots of ideas and perspectives from them.
Hope this helps!

Bob Hazen

Return to “Math”