Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lost on where to go next year for math

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DESmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: lost on where to go next year for math Reply with quote

My oldest DD is finishing up Miquon math and I don't know where to go with her next. She is loving and doing good on miquon. My next DD is using horizons as miquon didn't work with her.
I have heard alot go to Saxon but others said it was a hard transition and a few that jsut don't like Saxon at all.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about either of the math programs you listed.

We use Math U See. The kids like it.

I don't know what age your oldest is, but if she is a teen I'd have her look over some materials with you to help pick.

Stellar
Bob Hazen

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: after Miquon Reply with quote

You don't say what grade your daughter is in. Here's a couple suggestions:
1. Visit some other homeschool families and/or a local homeschool coop. See and hear what other families liked - and WHY.
2. Can you pinpoint what your child's learning style is? That can guide your decision about what type of math to use. Do a websearch on learning styles - there's probably a site that has a quick diagnosis on this.
3. Saxon: I personally like Saxon at the junior high level - Algebra 1 and beyond. The strength of Saxon is the continual review. The weakness of Saxon is the continual review. I think the continual review is a far greater strength than weakness.
4. Singapore: I've heard nothing but good about Singapore.
5. A main point is to do things in which your child USES math and HAS FUN with math - such as playing games like Yahtzee, Rummy, Ring-A-Round, Math Dice, 24, Crypto, etc. See my website for a booklet I've written on "Math Games to Supplement Any Math Curriculum" for more ideas there.
6. But the USING of math is a central thing - outside of a text, outside of official school time.

Hope this helps!

Bob Hazen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: