Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help w/High School Curriculum...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artsygirl
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Need Help w/High School Curriculum... Reply with quote

I'm trying to prepare for DD's venture into high school this coming year. I'm unsure about what curriculum is deemed great for this age (15). I'm needing the following:

World Lit
World History
Algebra 1
Biology
French

the next year its:

Amer Lit
Amer History
Geometry
Chemistry
French 2

Any suggestions of books? And WHY do you like the one your recommending?

Kris
Annie
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help w/High School Curriculum... Reply with quote

artsygirl wrote:
I'm trying to prepare for DD's venture into high school this coming year. I'm unsure about what curriculum is deemed great for this age (15). I'm needing the following:

World Lit
World History
Algebra 1 Math Relief by Leonard Firebaugh why: DVD based, explains topic very well, student directed, daughter loves it!
Biology- Apologia why: Christian, student directed, includes lab component

French

Any suggestions of books? And WHY do you like the one your recommending?

Those are my recommendations! HTH Very Happy
jrb434
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: aop Reply with quote

Alpha Omega Publications offers a complete high school curriculum.

My kids are younger but use this curriculum, and I love that it is all-in-one. They also offer a computer based program which you may like for your student too.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help w/High School Curriculum... Reply with quote

We don't like textbooks in general so we've done things a little differently than some might.

World Lit What we have done this year is have her read various selections and write pieces she is inspired to write. This was closely linked to World History as well for us.

World History we obtained lists of historical novels for various periods in time she wasn't already conversant in. We also watched movies in this same time periods and areas of the world. Then she wrote stories about or in that time and place.

Algebra 1 Math U See is what we have used. My daughter loved Pre Algebra with it due to the manipulatables. Sadly those aren't really focused on for Geometry or Algebra 1. They still like the materials fairly well. It comes with a DVD, teachers and students book or rather you order each separately I believe.

Biology My girl picked out the Biology Color Book. I thought it would be a joke and we'd need another source but surprisingly it has a ton of high level information just like a text book. She was looking for kinesthetic component but she was turned off by there being no significance to the colors used.

At our local science museum she is also taking a Biology lab for home schoolers that she likes a lot.

French We are not taking French. She has taken Sign Language, Egyptian Hieroglyphics, Spanish, Latin and is taking Japanese.

We used a simple workbook we purchased at the Parent Teacher store for Spanish which her elementary school had already started with her before we took her out. She liked that but it was when she was in sixth grade and so on a lower level.

She used library resources and a lot of practice to learn sign language.

She did a huge report on Egyptian Hieroglyphics, using library and internet resources.

We used Latin Is Not So Tough but it was a bit tough because there were no context clues and write pieces she is inspired to write. This was closely linked to World History as well for us.or alternate possible right answers in the materials. I ended up contacting the manufacturer, a high school Latin teacher and some school friends to figure out how to score these things because of that.

Japanese 1 and 2, we are using Rosetta Stone because our library offers it free. It's a immerse in the language method. My girl likes it better than my boy. He prefers to watch anime, use a Japanese / English dictionary and audio resource by Pimsaur. We got it from Barnes and Noble.

Amer Lit and Amer History, we plan to do what we've done with World History and Lit above only of course the focus will be on American History and Lit. Also we plan to go to a Colonial Village we have nearby and watch the PBS show about trying to recreate one.

Geometry Math U See is what we used again. She didn't like the lack of manipulatables though.

Chemistry We are probably going to dual enroll her into a community college for this because that is what she wants to do.

HTH,

Stellar
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help w/High School Curriculum... Reply with quote

I'm working on a lot of this too. So, what I'm doing/planning next fall is:

Algebra I...he's actually doing Algebra I right now and finding the program put out by www.Time4Learning.com (Compass/Odyssey) to be EXCELLENT. He's not had a single stumbling block and he's halfway through it (it's set up to be a full year course.) The problem with this is that if this is the only course your child is using (as mine is now) you still have to pay the monthly fee. The good thing is that it's only $20 (and you can discontinue it at any point...I just checked, it's $19.95 a month Laughing )

World History... we're going to be using http://writing-edu.com/writing/theme.php#Anchor-U.S-3800 This is the US History Based Lessons by IEW. I love this system, can't recommend it enough! We've not used any of the theme-based lesson plans like this yet, but we're looking forward to it. (Also, it's set up with two levels of ability, so I can have my son do the upper level work and my 4th grader do the lower level work at the same time. Combined teaching time!)

Literature... we're using http://writing-edu.com/literature/ (that's Teaching the Classics.) It's also put out by IEW, but is not by the same person. Here is a blurb from the page (I have it, but haven't started it yet with my kids. So I can't give you anything other than that I've had it highly recommended and it will, hopefully, help me as well as my kids!)
Quote:
By using short stories as models, Adam systematically prepares you to study character, plot, theme and other literary tools used by authors to communicate their message. You can quickly equip your children with literary study tools that can then be used easily on longer works. Skills gained through this program will allow you then to study any piece of literature. No more need for study guides!
As far as which books to use, I'll go through the age appropriate lists available from Newberry, the public library, the county school system and just about anywhere else I can find a list. (I love lists...) Rolling Eyes I may also look at a more structured literature program to use this system with after we have it down, but I'm not certain about that yet. (I'd prefer to just get them to love reading and learn to analyze what they're reading with ease.)

Biology/science in general... actually, is a stumbling block for me. I may dual-enroll my son in the local high school so he can take his science courses (with the lab) there. Maybe, once he's further in high school, use the university/community college programs instead.

French...we are using Rosetta Stone Spanish, atm. I'm doing it with my kids and getting A LOT out of it. (I know 6 languages already, but hadn't touched Spanish since high school) I would recommend it. My son wants to add Japanese to his work, so he'll be doing both Spanish and Japanese next fall.

Geometry...I may use the online program by AOL/AMDG or I may try something else. Compass/Odyssey has an online High School (same program he's doing algebra with) but it's only available currently through public schools. Grrr!

Well, I hope this helps. I'm very interested in reading all the responses, too. Very Happy
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two programs for writing that we liked before the kids decided they wanted to pick their own writing reading were:

Wordsmith

http://www.homeschooldiscount.com/hsp2/CSP_wordsmith.htm

Write with the Best - Vol. 1 and 2
- Modeling Writing After Great Works of World Literature

http://www.edudps.com/WWTB.html

I'll admit there were things about the Write with the Best program I didn't like. I simply didn't use those parts. I'd still get the books for reference use even if the kids didn't want to use the program in total though.

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: