Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need to get text books for Every Subject?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andall
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Do I need to get text books for Every Subject? Reply with quote

Hi I need help on what to teach my 7th grader he is behind in all subjects but I think I can get him to catch up. Now do I need to get a text book for every subject or can I use computer programs, what are the requirements, I don't want to spend too much money but I want him to learn. Do I have to teach all the subjects he had in school, Math,Language arts,social studies,science, art, history and health? How many hours do I need to spend in school and where do you keep all their work organized, do you use one big binder for all subjects or different folders for each subject. Please help.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. If you homeschool as a private school, you're required to cover the same subjects as the public schools, but if you enroll in a private school satellite program, taking "independent study", then the subject requirements are whatever the program requires. You can use whatever methodology you want - textbooks, computer software, videos, audio tapes, etc. There are no requirements in terms of hours. I'd personally use different folders, but that's just me.
andall
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
Depends. If you homeschool as a private school, you're required to cover the same subjects as the public schools, but if you enroll in a private school satellite program, taking "independent study", then the subject requirements are whatever the program requires. You can use whatever methodology you want - textbooks, computer software, videos, audio tapes, etc. There are no requirements in terms of hours. I'd personally use different folders, but that's just me.

It is as a private school. What do you recommend to use for social studies, science and History, can you point at some links where I can start looking for this material. For math I have him learning his time tables since he never learned that at school. How do you grade their work do you use a report card? this was a question I had from my oldest son and I told him I don't know how I'm going to do that, let me find out. Thank you.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For history, maybe Greanleaf Press, some Usborne books, and whatever historical novels you have around the house or available at the local library.

For science, books on plants, animals, and minerals, and you can look up an experiment online every week or two to add spice. For instance, you can make plastic substitute using milk and white vinegar, something which I found very neat, and you can also make glue from milk, white vinegar, and I think cornstarch. Various permutations of baking soda, vinegar, and water can be fun as well.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need to get text books for Every Subject? Reply with quote

andall wrote:
Hi I need help on what to teach my 7th grader he is behind in all subjects but I think I can get him to catch up. Now do I need to get a text book for every subject or can I use computer programs, what are the requirements, I don't want to spend too much money but I want him to learn. Do I have to teach all the subjects he had in school, Math,Language arts,social studies,science, art, history and health? How many hours do I need to spend in school and where do you keep all their work organized, do you use one big binder for all subjects or different folders for each subject. Please help.

No, you do not need a textbook for every subject.

Private schools in California (that would be you Very Happy ) are required to offer the same subjects that public schools do, but there is nothing that says to what extent or what method or even when you "offer" them.

There are no requirments for number of hours or minimum number of school days.

Some people keep their children's work in three-ring notebooks. Some don't keep anything at all. There aren't any requirements in Calif.

I'm thinking it would be good for you to have a more formal approach with math, as your ds is behind. Saxon math is well respected, and there is a placement test your ds can take so you'll know exactly where to place him. www.saxonpublishers.com.

For English (Calif specifies "English," not "Language Arts") you will want something for grammar, writing, and literature. If your ds is behind in English skills, you might want to begin with some things that are not specific to any grade level, such as Easy Grammar (www.ezgramar.com), and WordSmith or Writing Strands. You might hold off on something for literature.

For the rest, I'd say let him goof off on the computer, and go on some outings (Calif is great for field trips) for a few months, giving yourself some time to check out some publishers for science and history ("social science" in California).
andall
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much to both of you for your help, I feel much better now. Sorry that I ask so many questions but this homeschool thing is like me being homeschooled too...lol...I have so much to learn too. Thanks this information will help me a lot. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: