Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A call from the special ed teacher today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andall
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: A call from the special ed teacher today. Reply with quote

Hi, I pulled my son out of school yesterday, I took the letter of intent to the attendance office and filed the affidavit the day before that. My son is in 7th grade and has an IEP he has a learning disability, he doesn't learn at the same speed as the other kids and is way behind in every subject. His RSP teacher called me today saying that she is going to have a meeting with the special ed team to talk about my son and see if they will still be able to help him with his learning I guess, they say that since he has an IEP it is different than regular students that I just can't pull him out and decide on my own...is that right? that is my question, are they going to decide how am going to teach him or if I can take him out of school or not.....I thought that my decision was the final thing here. Can someone give me advice on this. I live in California.

Thanks,
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A call from the special ed teacher today. Reply with quote

andall wrote:
Hi, I pulled my son out of school yesterday, I took the letter of intent to the attendance office and filed the affidavit the day before that. My son is in 7th grade and has an IEP he has a learning disability, he doesn't learn at the same speed as the other kids and is way behind in every subject. His RSP teacher called me today saying that she is going to have a meeting with the special ed team to talk about my son and see if they will still be able to help him with his learning I guess, they say that since he has an IEP it is different than regular students that I just can't pull him out and decide on my own...is that right? that is my question, are they going to decide how am going to teach him or if I can take him out of school or not.....I thought that my decision was the final thing here. Can someone give me advice on this. I live in California.

Thanks,

You understand that I am not giving you *legal* advice.

You have every right to withdraw your ds from school. You do need to follow the laws, though. Have you filed a private school affidavit (R-4)? If not, you must do that immediately if not sooner.

Another option would be to enroll your ds in a private school which accepts hsed students (commonly called an Independent Study Program, or ISP, but really, they're just private schools). It isn't more legal than filing your own affidavit, but sometimes having a school administrator who is not you, and a school address that is not yours, and a third party to talk to officials and request records and whatnot, can be very helpful, especially when removing a child in the middle of the school year, especially when the child has an IEP. What county do you live in?

Did you join HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association)? Often, when there are issues at school such as having dc with IEPs, it is especially important to make sure that HSLDA membership is in place before removing the child, at least for the first year. If you have your plan in place as far as teaching materials and whatnot, you can join HSLDA on-line. I would do that.

www.hslda.org

You do NOT need to meet with his teacher or accept any "help" from the school. If the school had been doing such a great job in the first place, we wouldn't be having this discussion Surprised
andall
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm in the San Bernardino county, and yes I did file the R-4 Affidavit the day before I pulled him out. No I don't have all the material that I am going to teach right now I'm just working on their time tables and spelling and some writing then we watch the National Geographic channel for some social studies. I haven't joined the HSLDA, I don't think I am ready for that since I don't have any text books on any subjects. I am just giving this a try if it gets too complicated I think I'll just join a Public School at home like (Connections Academy) they provide all the material I need free of charge, the only thing is you have to be in contact with one of their teachers and they have to take the tests they require. Thanks
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In massachusetts you have the right to have your child continue to get sped sevices on YOUR time schedule. My son was taken out of school for some of the same reasons. He recieves on hour a day, three days a week. Regular sped, speech and language, and Occupational therapy. Is this what they are talking about?
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
andall
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo3boys wrote:
In massachusetts you have the right to have your child continue to get sped sevices on YOUR time schedule. My son was taken out of school for some of the same reasons. He recieves on hour a day, three days a week. Regular sped, speech and language, and Occupational therapy. Is this what they are talking about?

Yes I think that is what they want. I just don't know how my son is going to take that he is so happy and enjoying the classes here at home. Thank you for your reply.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andall wrote:
Hi, I'm in the San Bernardino county, and yes I did file the R-4 Affidavit the day before I pulled him out. No I don't have all the material that I am going to teach right now I'm just working on their time tables and spelling and some writing then we watch the National Geographic channel for some social studies. I haven't joined the HSLDA, I don't think I am ready for that since I don't have any text books on any subjects. I am just giving this a try if it gets too complicated I think I'll just join a Public School at home like (Connections Academy) they provide all the material I need free of charge, the only thing is you have to be in contact with one of their teachers and they have to take the tests they require. Thanks

You don't have to have textbooks; you just have to have a plan. IOW, your "curriculum" would be spelling, math, English, and social studies. HSLDA only cares that you are defensable, not that you have a stack of books.

I would much prefer to hs privately than to be part of a government school program. I'm just too independent Smile
andall
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
andall wrote:

You don't have to have textbooks; you just have to have a plan. IOW, your "curriculum" would be spelling, math, English, and social studies. HSLDA only cares that you are defensable, not that you have a stack of books.

I would much prefer to hs privately than to be part of a government school program. I'm just too independent Smile

I agree with you I rather stay independent too so I have to give this a try. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: