Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newcomer: Kym Wright

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kym
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Newcomer: Kym Wright Reply with quote

Hello, All,

I'm Kym - 20+ year homeschooling veteran & mother of 8 children. We live in Georgia and love it!

We've used textbooks, unit studies, literature units, character-based units, mommy-written, and lots of hands-on for our homeschooling.

When we began homeschooling in the mid-80s, there were no state organizations nor conventions. HSLDA was two men in California with "real day jobs." (I say that with the utmost respect for Mike and Mike.) Amd A'Beka wouldn't sell Teacher's Manuals to homeschoolers, because they were concerned that students would get ahold of them and know the answers!

We've come a long way since then.

Anyone here from Mary Pride's AOL folders?

Love,
www.Learn-and-Do.com
www.The-Mothers-Heart.com
marannt
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me! Me! Me! How are you???? I've been trying to post an intro., but for some reason I've had problems getting it to post for the last couple of days.

Blessings,
Maryann
Kym
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Hey, MaryAnn Reply with quote

Hello!

I received your Christmas card! Your family looks lovely. Hope you're all well.

Post away!
Kym
www.Learn-and-Do.com
tamalasc
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Advice Much Needed Reply with quote

Hi Kym,

I'm already thinking about homeschooling and my son is only 18 months. I never finished college and now I'm also thinking about going back and getting a degree in Early Childhood Education. As a veteran, do you think furthering my own education will make me a more effective homeschooler?

Thanks

Tcrumb
Kym
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: College Degree to Homeschool? Reply with quote

Hello, TC,

You might want the opinion of others, but my response is a resounding "NO!" I have a degree, but not in education. I think the most important facet to homeschooling is studying the child - helping them to develop the areas God has gifted them. Helping them learn discipline.

When a subject became difficult for me to teach, I had several options:
1. hire a tutor (an older homeschooler, a homeschool grad, a teacher) -
2. swap out with another homeschool mom - she teaches your hard subject and you teach what she can't - or barter for it - clean or garden in exchange for teaching
3. get a video course on the subject and learn together
4. find a class to take - continuing education, college course, zoo class, whatever

From teachers, I have heared that their degree taught them how to manage in the classroom.

Now, if you want to finish college to accomplish your own dream or to better yourself - then I'm all for setting a goal and achieving it.

Blessings,
Kym
www.Learn-and-Do.com
tamalasc
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kym,

Thank you so much for your advice which has already gone a long way. I shared it with a friend who just started homeschooling her four year old daughter. We both found your points to be very helpful and encouraging. Thanks again!

Tamala
Kym
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Degree? Thanks for the note . . . Reply with quote

Thanks for the note, Tamala. Keep me posted on how it goes.

Kym
www.Learn-and-Do.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: