Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Math mastery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hzwings
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Math mastery Reply with quote

Hi!
I am looking for a good math curiculum that strives for mastery of a skill before going onto another skill! Any sugesstions!
Jan Very Happy
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing entirely on one topic is good for learning that topic, but there's a chance you'll lose some ability in other areas that you're perhaps neglecting in the meantime. The best way to learn math imho is to focus on each topic just long enough to learn the concept, then keep coming back to it periodically over the following weeks and months. That way you have the highest chance of actually retaining math in your long-term memory, plus you aren't beating each topic to death and creating boredom.

Have you looked at Saxon yet? It's excellent up to Alg. II or so, after which point I'd go with a regular college textbook for Pre-Calc, Calculus, etc. (since Calculus should involve more creative thinking and less repetition)

Last edited by Theodore on Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Math-U-See is like you describe. I'm using it with my 3rd grader for the first time (she came in from public school) and she's doing very well with it. Also, once they teach the concept and it is grasped, they don't abandon it but have review incorporated into every new lesson so that prior concepts are reinforced and not forgotten.

Interestingly, I have heard from quite a few people that have used both, that MUS is somewhat better than Saxon up until algebra, at which point Saxon is somewhat better than MUS. Rolling Eyes When I first started researching math, these were the two that everyone suggested.
Hzwings
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
Focusing entirely on one topic is good for learning that topic, but there's a good chance you'll lose some ability in other areas that you're perhaps neglecting in the meantime. The best way to learn math imho is to focus on each topic just long enough the learn the concept, then keep coming back to it periodically over the following weeks and months. That way you have the highest chance of actually retaining math in your long-term memory, plus you aren't beating each topic to death and creating boredom.

Have you looked at Saxon yet? It's excellent up to Alg. II or so, after which point I'd go with a regular college textbook for Pre-Calc, Calculus, etc. (since Calculus should involve more creative thinking and less repetition)

Maybe mastery was the wrong terminology! I agree that learning a concept and periodic review is important! That is exactly what I want.

I have used ACE's School of Tomorrow math! I like it....but it does not focus long enough on a concept for my son to learn it and it lacks any daily or weekly review. My son is a slow learner and needs that constant review.

I have thought that Saxon might work. I know it worked wonders for my non-math daughter when she used Algebra 1! But with my son.....I am still trying to conquer division by two digits!

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I will look at Saxon again....and certainly pray about it. Smile
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also assorted math games and software you might look into. Muggins or Yahtzee, for instance, or Barnum Quartermile, as well as any other game that involves a lot of mental math.
istandamazed74
User

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Mastery of maths facts Reply with quote

My husband wrote a program that teaches mastery of basic math skills before moving on to the next set. Just click on my www at the bottom of this post.

You can get a free 30-day trial period. Very Happy
Jill
User

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mastering Mathematics http://www.masterypublications.com

I used this program with both my kids and loved it. Even long division was "tear free" at our house. One moved quickly, the other slowly, but they both mastered the skills.
SBrown
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Math U See program for mastery. They have you see it, say it, do it, till they can teach it back to you before going to the student book for mastery and review. Then you know if they know the concept, rather then wonder if they just can do the formula. It teaches them to be math minded.
susanrm
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Singapore Math Reply with quote

This is exactly how Singapore Math is designed, and why so many children succeed so well in it. I would check it out if I were you. But make sure you get a homeschooling guide so you get some understanding about how it's intended to be taught.
Kirti
User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Online math program Reply with quote

There is an excellent online math practice program offered by Lymboo at www.lymboo.com.

The curriculum is comprehensive, and the structure is designed to promote long-term retention. The assignments are rich in basic concepts, word problems, and critical thinking exercises. Every topic is broken in to easy to grasp concepts so that children can become independent learners. The website is very easy to use.
Advantages over Kumon:
1. Online - it's convenient. No grading by parents. All performance reports are available instantly online.
2. Free diagnostic tests - determines where the students begins the program
3. Daily assignments - requires almost full score and within recommended time limit
4. Periodic spiral review assignments - to reinforce and retain what was learned earlier. Very important!
5. Cost - fraction of Kumon!
Check it out.
Alicelewis11
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hzwings wrote:
Theodore wrote:
Focusing entirely on one topic is good for learning that topic, but there's a good chance you'll lose some ability in other areas that you're perhaps neglecting in the meantime. The best way to learn math imho is to focus on each topic just long enough the learn the concept, then keep coming back to it periodically over the following weeks and months. That way you have the highest chance of actually retaining math in your long-term memory, plus you aren't beating each topic to death and creating boredom.

Maybe mastery was the wrong terminology! I agree that learning a concept and periodic review is important! That is exactly what I want.

I have used ACE's School of Tomorrow math! I like it....but it does not focus long enough on a concept for my son to learn it and it lacks any daily or weekly review. My son is a slow learner and needs that constant review.
Free Math Games Online
I have thought that Saxon might work. I know it worked wonders for my non-math daughter when she used Algebra 1! But with my son.....I am still trying to conquer division by two digits!

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I will look at Saxon again....and certainly pray about it. Smile

This is precisely how Singapore Math is planned, and why such a large number of youngsters succeed so well in it. I might look at it in the event that I were you. In any case verify you get a self-teaching guide so you get some seeing about how its expected to be taught.
davidharper
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are looking for full course details? Yes you are able to get math course online and it will be very helpful for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: