Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notebooking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Notebooking Reply with quote

This technique has recently caught my eye and seems interesting. I've done some basic research on it, but was wondering if anyone here uses it and has any input on the subject. Any comments?
dectaz
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post here.

I am a homeschooling mom of three. I have twins who are first graders and a 4 year old.

I first thought the lapbooks, or folder books, or notebooking was lame. I thought it was too much trouble for the work. But that was months ago. Now, I love it!

We were given a boxed curriculum, but it just did not work out. When we released ourselves of that box, we realised that our kids LOVED to learn!

So, we began lapbooking for all things Science, Social Studies, Geography and History. (I still teach the three "R"s with regular text books. (Found in resale shops believe it or not....)

I have seen many sites where you can buy projects, but I found that simply making our own stuff and showing the kids how to actually research the topics, made for MUCH more absorbtion (SP) of the topic.

Also, this week, I have decided that lapbooking, or notebooking is really just a fancy way of saying that we "Do unit studies and then SCRAP what we know... yes, Scrapbooking, right?

So, when I opened my mind to tie those to ideas togther, the creativity just exploded!

So we do "Unit Studies" and then we "Scrapbook" those things that we learn.

Too much fun!
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why the idea stood out to me. I am a scrapper so I thought it may be fun to scrap our kids stuff - it's like a built in portfolio.

I may have to give it a shot and see how it goes. Thanks!
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are already a scrapbooker then you are all set to lapbook and notebook!!! LOL

I have a bunch of pics linked on our website of the notebooks and lapbooks we have done. www.seilerclan.info
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how to work in a more complete history course for my 8th grader (I'm going to teach medieval history to both he and my 4th grader.) I came across a textbook by McDougal Littell that is geared for his age group that looked interesting. However, many of the activities are just not his or my style and would probably take several years to complete if I tried to get him to do everything. Otoh, I thought it might actually be interesting to him and I if I had him make a lapbook for each unit (8 units in the book, 2 chapters per unit, 3-4 lessons per chapter) where he basically produces something short, sweet and small for each lesson objective and at the end of the unit, put it all together.

Hmm, does this make sense?

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking of using lapbooks/scrapbooks for. If nothing else, there will be some spiffy things to show an evaluator if I have to do that.

PS. frogguruami, what wonderful lapbooks! I have to get a digital camera... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: