I need Advise on which way to go.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

andall
User

I need Advise on which way to go.

Postby andall » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:54 am

Hi, I am considering homeschooling my kids and would like to ask you if anybody is using or heard of Connections Academy. It is a Public school at home, the students do their work online, the Academy provides all the material for them to learn. Do you think this would be good for me to start, since I just panic to think I would not have what it takes to homeschool on my own. My son is been desperately crying for help I see him sad all the time he says school is the one that makes him like that. He is happy at home. I guess I haven't done anything also because of what my family is going to say, I know I would be critized forever. Please let me know what you think of this Connections Academy.

Thanks,
AndAll

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Personally, I think you don't need the state to homeschool your dc.

I would much rather have the freedom to choose what I'm going to do, even if I make some mistakes here and there, than to do public school at home.

And it's so easy to homeschool in California (I'm assuming that's where you are). Why get entangled with the public school and all its requirements when you can start your own private school free from those requirements?

andall
User

Postby andall » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:56 pm

Yes I am in located in California. I thank you for your advice, I think you're right I have to use a system that will work for my kids so we don't feel the stress we have in the Public School.

Thanks.
AndAll

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:17 pm

I wouldn't use a public school online either. The public school already failed your child, why give them another chance? I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job. Your child will surely do much better under the loving guidance of a parent. We all make mistakes in homeschooling but kids are resilient and a mistake here and there won't destroy their education. That's more likely to happen in the public schools system.

There's ton of help here so just relax, hang in there and I'm sure you'll find your groove soon.

Don't worry about what others say. Most of us have family or friends who don't approve and are vocal about it. The bottom line is that this is your child and you know what's best for him. I find that most objectors are either completely ignorant, misinformed or biased about homeschooling vs. public school. In those cases, it's not even worth discussing it with them since you can't overcome ignorance or biases - only they can do that. You can attempt to educate them on homeschooling and that's the best you can do - the rest is up to them. If you feel you're doing the right thing, then you probably are (and it does sound like you are doing the right thing).
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Dolly-VA
User

Re: I need Advise on which way to go.

Postby Dolly-VA » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:58 pm

andall
User

Postby andall » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:28 pm

AndAll

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:39 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

andall
User

Postby andall » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:24 pm

AndAll

Return to “Getting Started”