first three days homeschooling IEP closure and normal day

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Terry
User

first three days homeschooling IEP closure and normal day

Postby Terry » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:31 pm

This is our third day at homeschool. I have two children ages 12 and 14. They really wanted to be homeschooled and I was really nervous about taking them out of public school. They both have IEP's that need to be closed through the public school. Can the IEP team deny us closure at our meeting?
This is my first experience with homeschooling and I know of no one else in my area, yet I have heard of a group that meets at a nearby park. I suppose I will eventually meet them, being that I will need support and encouragement.
I chose a district transfer into a ISP/ homeschool program becuse I don't yet have the confidence to be on my own. In just three days my children have taken all the textbooks and found their place and completd all their daily work in about three hours. They just ask a question here and there and then I correct the work.
I spent about five hours preparing daily assignment schedules for them and they laughed at me and said they did not need them. There are tests that wil be taken at the end of each semester at the district and I need to make sure they know the material. That really worries me. We also have to compete science labs and I really want that to be fun, but they just want to do it alone.
This seems too strange to me. They don't want to be taught at all, just facsilitated when needed. Am I doing this the right way? Also, what about the stuff they need help with? What if I don't know the subject or how to help, for instance, math? Can I hire a tudor?[/b]
Life is in the journey; as wells the destination. Enjoy them both.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:08 pm

12 is plenty old enough to be able to handle almost everything without supervision, and there's no reason why the core subjects should take more than 2-3 hours a day. Yes, you'll still be consulted occasionally, so you'll want to skim through everything ahead of time and study anything you're not sure about, but don't worry about high school - anything you can't handle by then (Biology, Pre-Calc / Calculus, etc.) can be covered with courses at the local community college.

I guess the important question is, are they doing the work properly? If they are, then you should be happy about the situation. :)

elliemaejune
User

Re: first three days homeschooling IEP closure and normal d

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:17 am

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”