Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does one get it all done??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teapot
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: How does one get it all done?? Reply with quote

How do homeschoolers get what needs to be done over all really done? How for example does a mother and father with several children all a young age no adolecents in the home to help out. keep their kid's home from the beginning have their children learning all the subjects on grade level and still cook and keep the place clean.It does not seem that it can be a reality for anyone.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure lol, but it doesn't tend to get done. We have days here and there when something unexpected happens and the whole day goes down the drain, but for the most part it's alright. I usually break housework up into 5 parts - 1 part each day. Mondays I'll pick up and vacuum the basement, Tuesday - the upstairs, etc. I also do one load of laundry a day which is pretty easy to manage and it keeps the clothing and bedding clean. I also try to keep dinners simple, but healthy. We don't eat a lot of meat around here so dinners are super fast and simple. I also use my crockpot to make a veggie chili or other soup. Dinner cooks all day and we eat when we want. I also enlist the help of my 3 and 6 year olds. They know more than they like to let on because it usually means they have to help, but I have them put toys away, pick up their clothes, get themselves dressed, etc.

Our days are busy but we keep clipping along and I found that organization is the key. We have our house well organized so everything has a place and when we're done with it, it gets put away. We also try not to let stuff pile up on us. The dishwasher gets unloaded when it's finished and reloaded with waiting dishes, laundry is done when we have a load to do instead of trying to tackle 9 loads on one day.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at our house we follow the FlyLady way. It works for us. Each Monday we do our home blessings and bless our house by doing a nice cleaning. The rest of the week is just maintaince. I have three kids; Catherine (who is 6 and almost done with 1st grade), Anna (who is 2 and doing preschool), and Christopher (who is 1 and just having fun). Here is our typical day:

8 am - Breakfast and I start laundry and unload the dishwasher. We read our morning devotion before we leave the table, my 6 year old now likes to read it.
8:30 am - Clean up from Breakfast, get everyone dressed, brush teeth and hair and make beds.
9 am - Fun play time for all, and I clean up "hot spots", swish and swipe, and over all clean up.
9:30 am - Morning excerises, we do aerobics and toning together as a group
10 am - Language Arts and Math
Noon - Lunch
1 pm - Science, History, Art/Music
3 pm - Free play, little ones are awake from naps at this point
4:30 pm - Family pick up and start dinner.
5 pm - Hubby comes home
5:30 pm - We eat dinner as a family, we do Bible at the table as a family.
6 pm - Activities (M- Rainbow, T- Ice Skating and Gym, Th- Church)
7 pm - Baths
7:30 pm - Christopher to bed
8 pm - Anna to bed
9 pm - Catherine to bed
10 pm - Hubby and I go to bed.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy answer is:
Some days you don't get it all done.. Smile

some days the house is a wreck..
some days schoolwork is cut short... to be made up if necessary
when I get a day off.

You organize as best you can and roll with it, knowing that your
kiddos will learn more when they do not have to compete with
25 other children for the teacher's time.

mark
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two or three kids are always the hardest, after that the oldest will be old enough to start helping out with chores. Also, you can go year-round rather than two semesters per year, which means relatively little material needs to be covered each day, and homeschooling allows enough flexibility to take a day off here or there if you need a rest.
lydiavj
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a single, work at home mom, so it's really challenging to get EVERYTHING done.

I try to get at least TWO hours worth of schooling in for my little girl. I do no more than 2 maybe 3 subjects.

When she's doing seat work, I work online a bit, or do the dishes, laundry ex.... Actually, I've been giving her more independent work and she's doing great with it. It's giving me that time to get things done.

I also go to the gym everyday.

I stay up really late at night (till 12 or 1am), answering emails and promoting my business.

Overall, it's not so bad. It can get very stressful at times.

Occasionally, I may take a day off from homeschooling to refresh my attitude, so that I can be patient and loving as I teach.

So in a nutshell, most days, I homeshcool from 9 - 12. Sometimes, I homeshcool in the afternoon.

We have lunch, do whatever errands need to be made, do a few house chores, go to the gym, cook, rest a little in between and get the kids ready for bed (baths, dinner, prayer time etc....).

Lilly,

Be a WAHM like me!
Visit: www.netmomof2.com
mithalas
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: It doesn't always get done Reply with quote

I'm a single home schooling dad of 3 and I work full time outside of the home. Some days you will get it done other days you wont.

You have to take each day as it comes and just sit back and trust that God will lead you to the right place.
hummingbird
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Getting stuff done Reply with quote

I am not a parent or anything, but I can tell you what happened in my home. When I was younger, my sisters and I would get everything done. As we got older, it was harder to get everything done. Subjects got harder and it was tough to concentrate and get them done without a teacher over your head. Plus, as I got older, I was not intimidated by my mom, and it was hard to listen to her all the time.
After I went back to school in eighth grade, I got everything done and on time. It was much easier to stay on schedule with a teacher at this age. I don't see how I would do anything now, unless there were grades and deadlines.
So, I mean if you don't get everything done with little kids, I think it is important that you at least get through basic stuff. You should test your kids to make sure they are at the level of other kids their age. Other than that, I don't think it will matter much if you don't get everything done every day.
lydiavj
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point about getting things done and meeting dead lines.

That's definately something to keep in mind with my children.

I don't want them to think that just because we do school at home, there is no responsibility involved. It's all about providing more structure to them.

I plan on doing school in the mornings and then put them in some kind of activity during the afternoon for a few hours. That way I can get some things done around here and they can have more 'socializing' and 'structure'. Just have to find the right program.

Be a WAHM like me!
Visit: www.netmomof2.com
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's a good point about getting things done and meeting dead lines.

Accomplishing things and meeting deadlines is very important, but it can be taught outside of school and even in a homeschool environment. Deadlines and tasks are a part of life so homeschoolers will inevitably learn it sooner or later - either at home or out in the real world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: