Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hawaii Homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BecAntes
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Hawaii Homeschool Reply with quote

I have read the legal specifications for Hawaii, but still don't really understand.

I know that I have to send in a Notice of Intent before beginning homeschool. But I don't have any idea when I can start homeschool or if I can do it year-round. Also we will be moving to Texas in March of next year. What do I do about the homeschooling then.

I am completely lost as far as homeschooling my 5yr old daughter goes. I need alot of help sorting everything out. Please help!!

Rebecca
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Homeschool Reply with quote

BecAntes wrote:
I have read the legal specifications for Hawaii, but still don't really understand.

I know that I have to send in a Notice of Intent before beginning homeschool. But I don't have any idea when I can start homeschool or if I can do it year-round. Also we will be moving to Texas in March of next year. What do I do about the homeschooling then.

I am completely lost as far as homeschooling my 5yr old daughter goes. I need alot of help sorting everything out. Please help!!

Rebecca

You might be making it more difficult than it really is Smile

As I read the law, you notify the principal of the public school your dc would attend...whenever you decide to hs... today, tomorrow, next week...whenever. There's no reason that you can't teach your own dc any time of the year, all year.

When you move to Texas, you won't have to do a single thing. Texas is the happy recipient of a court case decision which makes homeschools equal to private schools, and private schools are not regulated by the state. When you get here, just keep on hsing Smile You don't have to tell anyone or nothin'.
BecAntes
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Homeschool Reply with quote

I tend to make things more complicated than they might actually be. I overthink things sometimes. Embarassed

So when we go to Texas, we don't have to notify anyone that our daughter won't be going to public school? What about if we decide to put her in public school, do we just enroll her?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Rebecca
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Homeschool Reply with quote

BecAntes wrote:
I tend to make things more complicated than they might actually be. I overthink things sometimes. Embarassed

So when we go to Texas, we don't have to notify anyone that our daughter won't be going to public school? What about if we decide to put her in public school, do we just enroll her?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Rebecca

I tend to over-think things, as well, so you're in good company, lol.

Nope, you don't have to tell anyone that you're hsing. Very kewl Smile

If you decide to enroll her in school (public or private) there are some things which will make it easier:

Immunization records
Photocopy of her birth certificate
Some sort of academic records, such as recent standardized test scores.
BecAntes
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Homeschool Reply with quote

I read that here in Hawaii (I don't know if it is the same in other states), the kids only take the standardized tests in 3rd, 5th, 8th and 10th grades. I may only homeschool her for kindergarten, possibly 1st too. In Texas, do younger kids take those standardized tests? How will that work if they don't?

Rebecca
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only requirement for homeschooling in Texas is that you cover "reading, spelling, grammar, math, and good citizenship". There are no requirements for attendance, qualifications, notice of intent, recordkeeping, or testing, making Texas pretty much as easy to homeschool in as you can get.
BecAntes
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: RE:Hawaii Homeschooling Reply with quote

Thank you for your help with understanding the laws of homeschooling.

Rebecca
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
The only requirement for homeschooling in Texas is that you cover "reading, spelling, grammar, math, and good citizenship". There are no requirements for attendance, qualifications, notice of intent, recordkeeping, or testing, making Texas pretty much as easy to homeschool in as you can get.
yeppers...

*smiles from a happy Texan* Smile
TXMomTo2
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Homeschool Reply with quote

BecAntes wrote:
I read that here in Hawaii (I don't know if it is the same in other states), the kids only take the standardized tests in 3rd, 5th, 8th and 10th grades. I may only homeschool her for kindergarten, possibly 1st too. In Texas, do younger kids take those standardized tests? How will that work if they don't?

Rebecca

Standardized testing (TAKS) begins in 3rd grade. They do begin preparing students in 2nd grade.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Homeschool Reply with quote

This is true, but only for public school dc. Homeschooled dc don't have to be tested.
TXMomTo2
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Homeschool Reply with quote

Yes, guess I misunderstood, thought she was inquiring about if she only hs'd until K-1st and then placed in ps in Texas.
BecAntes
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawaii Homeschool Reply with quote

TXMomTo2 wrote:
Yes, guess I misunderstood, thought she was inquiring about if she only hs'd until K-1st and then placed in ps in Texas.

You didn't misunderstand. That is what I was asking. I only wanted to homeschool my daughter while we were here in Hawaii. Unless, of course, I really enjoyed homeschooling her and she does really well. Then I might decide to homeschool her longer. But origionally I was asking about placing her in public school after the first couple of grades.

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.

Rebecca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: