Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing God to atheistic youngsters...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randigale wrote:
Calla_Dragon wrote:
Maybe consider doing unit studies on many different belief systems and see if they find something that speaks to them.

I'm sorry if you stated it before, maybe I wasn't paying attention, but why is it so important that you get them to believe in one thing over another at this point in time? Are they unhappy in their beliefs? Are they searching for answers they haven't found yet?

No. I just feel like they only don't believe because I told them not to. Honestly, though, trying to discuss God with them is doing a better job of deconverting me than it is converting them.

So, again, I pose the question to you, why are you trying to convert them? Are you unhappy with your beliefs? Are they unhappy with their beliefs? Are any of you searching for something more? Why do you feel compelled that they should believe in God if all you feel you are doing is turning yourself off and potentially them in the process?
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randigale wrote:
I think it is very telling that I can't find a way to introduce God to my kids because they are intelligent and practical. Maybe I should re-think my beliefs instead of worrying about theirs.

I'm going to a UU church on Sunday. Perhaps my answers lie there....

Thanks for your help.
And as they are intelligent and practical, they will be most influenced
by you walking the walk..
If you stay close to Jesus and lean on Him, they will see that in your life,
and come to understand the Truth that you follow.

mark
horse_rider1990
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I'm only 18, I hope that my comments will not offend you.

But I agree with Mark. Sometimes, you just have to live your life on your belief systems. Your children, though young, sound very intelligent and maybe a little cynical. I know many people who will shut down when I start telling them about anything to do with my beliefs. But I'm often one of the only ones who will let them talk about their problems. Why? Not because I'm trying to convert them, but because I'm trying to live my life as Jesus dictated.

And whoever mentioned Lee Strobel took the words right out of my mouth. I was about to post when I saw that.

Have you tried possibly asking them what they believe and why? Maybe that would give you some insight.

I hope everything works out, whichever way you choose.

Horse_rider1990
Renee
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calla_Dragon wrote:
su wrote:
Calla Dragon, you said:
Quote:
I'm sorry if you stated it before, maybe I wasn't paying attention, but why is it so important that you get them to believe in one thing over another at this point in time? Are they unhappy in their beliefs? Are they searching for answers they haven't found yet?

Some of us want to pass on our beliefs to our children because we believe 1) there is truth and 2) we want them to have the same mission of showing the world the love of Christ. Very Happy

And that's understandable, however it sounds like Randigale, herself, is still athiest for the most part so I'm not sure why the push for Christianity is important if she already has her beliefs and feels comfortable with them. Is this not the case?

Truth is different for everyone and it's based on each person's perception of reality and that will differ from person to person. There is no one truth since it's always colored by one's own reality. It's fine for parents to want to pass what they perceive to be truth onto their kids, but only if it's for the right reasons, IMO. Belief in something because you feel you should or you were told to are not the right reasons, IMO. If your belief in something came from reflection, meditation/prayer and it's something you feel in your heart to be right, that's awesome for that person. However, I'm not understanding the push to up and change belief systems when she and her kids both seem pretty content where they are, based on their postings. There is no one right belief system or one right way to do things - only what feels right to you in your heart. That's where I was getting confused by the original post - if she's happy and the kids are happy, what exactly is the issue?

Seems to me you should not answer for other people when someone else is communicating with them...
Renee
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No. I just feel like they only don't believe because I told them not to. Honestly, though, trying to discuss God with them is doing a better job of
deconverting me than it is converting them.

Randigal,
Don't give up, you just tell them about God and the salvation of Jesus and God will do the rest. You can't make anyone believe in Him, that is up to Him.
You do have a responsibility for having told them He isn't real in the first place but God is full of grace and if you ask for His help, you will get it.

We were raised athiest but all of us (4 kids) became Christians and now even my mother is! Praise God.
First thing is go to a church that teaches God's Word not the worlds.
Try an expositional church that simply teaches the Word of God without adding or taking away. That will ground you.
"God loves us all the way we are but too much to leave us that way"
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish..
Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood..
1 Peter 5:8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: