Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

laundry poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

do you seperate your clothing before you wash it?
yes
79%
 79%  [ 23 ]
no
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 29

momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: laundry poll Reply with quote

Who actually seperates their laundry? I only do when I get new clothes, which isn't very often, and I was wondering if I was alone in that.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You naturally want to separate out anything that's likely to leak color into the water (new clothing) or anything that needs special washing (wool perhaps). Other than that, why bother? Clothing is one of the areas that you don't want to waste hours on per day if you can help it.

EDIT: I should note, dirty diapers always went in a separate load of their own Smile

Last edited by Theodore on Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't sort. We were staying at a relatives recently and she insisted on doing our laundry. I saw her sorting it and I said "oh, that's ok, I don't sort, just shove it all in". She looked at me with her mouth open and said that she couldn't do laundry like that. I shrugged and told her that she was welcome to do our laundry any way she pleased, just saying that she didn't have to go through the trouble of sorting it. LOL

I don't iron either - we're a wash and wear family.
mdsmomct
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort- Habit I guess! Wink
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Either or Kinda Gal Reply with quote

It depends on what mood I am in. Since laundry is not my favorite chore I try to seperate when I need particular items. But most of the time I will shove what clothes are avaliable in the washer. However I do not wash my bedding or towels with anything I wash them completely seperate. Cool
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: laundry poll Reply with quote

My kids do virtually all our laundry, and they sort because I taught them to. Wink We do whites, lights, darks, towels, and cold-water items. I did mine all together in college but my grandma always complained that my whites looked gray. I guess the main reason I sort lights from darks is that there are enough for two loads and I wanted some arbitrary line between the two. <shrug> I can't stand to use a towel that has fabric softener on it, but I always use softener on everything else.

Ramona
Kitty-Cat
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort mine into cleaner better stuff, dirty play stuff/dh work clothes and towels. I always use fabric sofener on the towels.
Starlily
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wash & wear here too (except for 'hand wash only' stuff, that goes on my gentle cycle) Laughing
angw8
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter does the laundry .The exterior male clothing gets seperated.It is often the dirtiest and can be greasy from mechanical work etc

And whites are done seperately too.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on my mood. I separate I would say 99% of the time. We have a three sectioned laundry shorter in our laundry room, we do: white/light, darks, and special. The one that is the fullest gets done that day. We do a load a day just to keep from making it a BIG chore.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, i didn't realize i was such a minority. i was never really taught to sort, so i never made it prioroty. everyonce in a while i'll do a load of just whites and use bleach, but usually everything is thrown together. I've never had a problem. whites are white and darks are dark. I do agree that really dirty item (like diapers and greasy clothes) should be by themsleves. Thank you all so much for answering my question, i am truly surprised!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: laundry and other things my mom ruined me for Reply with quote

I wish i could break the sorting habit
My mom must have brainwashed me
I can even remember in college when money was tight, I felt so guilty to throw it all together
guess that's what mom's do, brainwash
lol
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with sorting. My question is, is it really necessary? Do you get significantly better results sorting your clothes first? I don't know about your family, but we don't typically use a lot of designer clothing that bleeds into the wash. Of course, we also have as many as nine of us home at any given time, so it's easy to collect enough towels or bed sheets or whatever for a special wash every now and then. I don't count that as sorting because it just involves collecting the wash and throwing it all in until the washing machine is full Smile Maybe I should have.
KarMel
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort also, mostly because it is the way I was taught.
4given
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Laundry? Reply with quote

WOW! I didn't realize there was an option to NOT sort. I'm a sorting freak. I'm not sure how I got this way- wasn't taught to do laundry. I must have seen someone do it that way and cabbaged onto the idea. Watch out world! I may not sort tomorrow! Atleast one load. Or maybe a half load Wink

Sheila in IN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: