Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Science and Social Studies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Science and Social Studies Reply with quote

What are you using for these subjects? My kids are on 2nd grade and 4th grade levels. I have no idea what would be the best thing to use for them. My daughter Cheyanne keeps asking when I am going to do these subjects because she like them more than she likes math and language arts. Any ideas Neutral
Guy Vandegrift
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you and Cheyanneis are willing to build a small toy boat cheaply, simply, and using a new and untried method, I would be willing to answer your science questions for free. I am a math/physics prof, currently at Valparaiso University, attempting to promote original student-research

You should be able to find find my web address under my profile. See the link called STIFFNESS OF AN ADVANCED SHARPIE.
and contact me!

Last edited by Guy Vandegrift on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are studying the states one at a time. we have anotebook and with a picture of the US on the front and when we study a new state we color it in. we learn about how each state was started, go on field trips that talk about how the history, and keep a log for each state in the notebook. I hope this helps. My science is a lot less organized so i can't help with that area.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Science and Social Studies Reply with quote

Here's a list of some of the many things we happen to be using for our kids this year--

*What Your 2nd Grader Needs to Know* and *What Your 4th Grader Needs to Know* ed. by E.D. Hirsch

Social Studies:
many library books

Dover coloring books of Columbus, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, a medieval village, and the Civil War

history of Rome from *Lingua Latina Liber Primus* by Burns, Medicus and Sherburne

visits to local historic sites

literature we picked up at those sites

newspaper

family history and parents' personal reminiscences

Science:
*Plants, Animals and Us* by Bertha Morris Parker

*365 Science Projects & Activities* by Perry and Rillero

*Dover Nature Coloring Book Sampler* from Dover Books

Lots of observation of nature

Also, a friend just reminded me about a great book called *The Way Things Work* or something like that. I used that with some of my older kids but no longer have it. I know there's a copy in our public library though. There's a new edition available now.

HTH,
Ramona
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Kewl Ideas! Reply with quote

Thanks for the resource titles Ramona. My husband and I are going to the library on Monday to find books on what he is going to school for. So when we go I will look up these titles as well. O

I was wondering about those subjects because there is such a wide variety of topics. We plan on going to Colorado this summer. Last summer we went and we stopped at Capulin Mt (a dormant volcano) and the kids learned alot about the volcano from being JR Rangers and they got badges they did the same thing when we went to Mesa Verde. Just a thought to through out at other parents who might be planning vacations this summer.

Also you can purchase a National Parks Passport from National Park gift shops and every National Park you visit with your kids they can get a stamp. I'll try to find a link to what I am talking about and post it.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a cool idea.. Smile

as to what we are using, right now we are using Abeka for those
subjects with a few odds and ends mixed in. Smile
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: National Park Passports Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_park_passport_stamps

http://www.eparks.com/store/

http://www.geocities.com/parkpassport/index.html

Here are some of the links I found on the National Park Passports. Hope this helps Smile And many national parks have the JR Ranger Activites there, here are a few sites I found today on the idea

http://www.nps.gov/webrangers/

http://www.nps.gov/learn/juniorranger.htm

Kids love it when they fill like they are apart of something bigger then themselves. Even better when they think they are helping protect a National Park Smile
homeschoolparent
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Science Solution Reply with quote

I just purchased a new computer-based science CD set for my 4th grader called blue bengal learning labs online. She stays pretty engaged and interested when she uses the program. It covers all the essential science areas - physics, earth/space, and life. Content is thorough, and there are some fun activities that incorporate the lessons. I hadn't really seen a program like this, and it seems to be working great. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has had the same success using it.
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a link to a site that shows what Blue Bengal is? I'm looking for something for my 7th grader. Thank you!

Btw, for my 3rd grader I'm using Time4Learning's science and social studies. My daughter really enjoys them. And even though I don't have her "officially" using the math and language arts in the program, she still likes to do them as well. (We're using Math U See and a variety of LA programs.)
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I edited the link out of her post. Here it is.
homeschoolparent
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: link Reply with quote

here is the link for the blue bengal software...it is for grades 4-9, so it could work for your 7th grader.

www.bluebengallearning.com
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! Is this a new product? Has anyone here used this program with older kids? It seems to follow the 7-9 general science requirements of my local school system (which seems to be a reasonable thing to study, imo.) But the site isn't clear in how it really looks (giving a pretty little advertisement film rather than actual screen shots and contents listings.) Is it set up for 7th, 8th or 9th graders, for instance, to click on age/grade appropriate content? Or does it have everyone just go through everything? Is it set up in lessons? How many? (I'm thinking Life Science for this instance.) Questions and more questions! Lol! Thank you for the links. =)
GeekyMom
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Science and Social Studies Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
Here's a list of some of the many things we happen to be using for our kids this year--

*What Your 2nd Grader Needs to Know* and *What Your 4th Grader Needs to Know* ed. by E.D. Hirsch
I just purchased three grade level books on Ebay and they are an excellent source of material to cover in the school year by subject. My daughter can't wait to get started with hers.
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are very "laid back" about history and science in the elementary years. We basically just study what ever interests us at the moment. We read biographies, textbooks, historical fiction, do science experiments and things like that. I have started using a timeline with the children to help them understand the concept of a lot of things happening in the world at the same time.

I was a little nervous when my oldest started using a formal curriculum in those subjects when he reached 7th grade but he adapted with little trouble.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think one of the best ways to study, history, social studies and geography is to do it country by country integrating all of those things!

I LOVE this book for the younger grades: Travel the Globe: Multicultural Story Times by Desiree Webber. I'd have used it if we had homeschooled back then. It has stories, crafts, songs, language and more for each country or area of the world. I'd supplement with library books, the web, living museums and doing such things as cooking dishes from that country.

For science we've used the library and web extensively, doing experiments of different sorts at home and they've done in depth reports on topics or experiments of their choosing. What they've really enjoyed best so far have been the home school classes at the science museum and/or zoo.

They've loved ancient history the best btw. Mandated state and US history are mostly boring for them. They've been having that stuff pushed into their brains since elementary school when they were public schooled.

We've used time lines, historical novels and movies for history too. A few years ago I had them watch Colonial Village on PBS as part of American History. That really made it easier to relate to for them. I loved that whole series about different time period home life.

The PBS website had some great stuff on it too for those shows and for the warrior shows they did that taught some historical facts with games.

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: