Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I just paranoid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Am I just paranoid? Reply with quote

My daughter, who is 3, is taking swimming lessons this week. While there, I started talking to another mother, who ended up being on the school board. She mentioned it when I asked what she did. Anyway, today, she asked me if I had my dd signed up for the preschool program at the school. I just said, "No, she's not in anything." Is my thinking correct, when I think that if I were to say, "No, we're homeschoolers," she would judge me, maybe watch how I interact with my kids a bit more, decide I wasn't worth talking to? Or are most school board members and school staff reasonable to deal with?
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Am I just paranoid? Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
My daughter, who is 3, is taking swimming lessons this week. While there, I started talking to another mother, who ended up being on the school board. She mentioned it when I asked what she did. Anyway, today, she asked me if I had my dd signed up for the preschool program at the school. I just said, "No, she's not in anything." Is my thinking correct, when I think that if I were to say, "No, we're homeschoolers," she would judge me, maybe watch how I interact with my kids a bit more, decide I wasn't worth talking to? Or are most school board members and school staff reasonable to deal with?

You are not paranoid when they really are out to get you, they say. Wink

You may have given her the benefit of the doubt. Not all school board members are opposed to homeschooling. With your situation, I might have started the conversation like this: "That is interesting. I have been giving a great deal of thought about my child's education. What is your opinion on homeschooling?"

I will say that when my daughter was younger, no one raised an eyebrow that she was with me all the time, but now that she is older, 6, obviously school age... people ask her about school. Often, before I have a chance to say anything, my daughter firmly tells them, "I don't go to public school. I homeschool." At that point, they usually don't ask anything else unless they like the idea themselves. However, it is also not uncommon for people to look over my daughter as if looking for bruises or ask her questions as if trying to assess her education when we are out among strangers. From my daughter's reaction, it seems to me that since she was five years old she has figured all that out for herself and she is handling well, although a bit more on the feisty side than I would prefer. (I think she gets that from me. Embarassed )
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem. I usually get very positive answers from people, but I live in an area that is very open to different ideas. I actually was on the school committee in our town. I wasn't the only hs parent either. Currently he is the chair! You would be surprised what people's views are. Personally if they don't agree with you , that is their problem not yours. They need to know how many of us there really are. If I ask the school district how many families HS? I'm told only a few. I know and personally associate with a whole lot more than a few. Wink
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have no problem telling people we're homeschoolers and my son is more than open about the kind of "school" he goes to. People often make it a point to ask my obviously school-age son if he's in school and where - every time, without fail, he proudly announces that he goes to school at home. If people have a problem with it, they have never said anything in front of my son. We've only gotten positive responses and they've come from all places. Just last night at a county fair, a middle-aged lady commented on how wonderful it was that we were homeschooling because "the stuff they're teaching in the schools these days is just awful!" and how it never used to be like that when her children were in school.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

School board members, teachers, and PTA members may or may not be accepting of homeschooling, you'll just have to ask and find out. Most other people (at least in our area, I don't know about the rest of the US) seem to be quite ok with it - just about everyone knows someone who homeschools, and many have a relative who homeschools. Several people I've done consulting work for are also either homeschooling or looking into homeschooling, which is unusual considering the range of states and backgrounds represented.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, I think that if you're dealing with a member of a teacher's union, chances are much higher that they're going to be not accepting of your decision to homeschool or even hostile to it. I understand there is quite a bit of anti-homeschool propoganda going around the unions and virtually none of it is based in fact. I've faced this propoganda directly from my mother in law (fortunately, I knew what the unions were saying about it beforehand and could counteract it with facts), but she was adamant against homeschooling based almost verbatim on the reasons why the unions were against it.
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calla_Dragon wrote:
Generally speaking, I think that if you're dealing with a member of a teacher's union, chances are much higher that they're going to be not accepting of your decision to homeschool or even hostile to it. I understand there is quite a bit of anti-homeschool propoganda going around the unions and virtually none of it is based in fact. I've faced this propoganda directly from my mother in law (fortunately, I knew what the unions were saying about it beforehand and could counteract it with facts), but she was adamant against homeschooling based almost verbatim on the reasons why the unions were against it.

That is so true of the NEA!

Confused As I begain typing and looking for references I realized that I just need to open another thread on this so I don't hi-jack this one.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can assume that someone is going to react that way without knowing.

OTOH, if you are more comfortable being safe rather than possibly sorry, I can't blame you.
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the public school's school year (September to June) when I am out at the grocery store/eating out for lunch, etc. I often get weird looks from people who pass me by. It makes me wonder if they're thinking, "Ooohhh....she's skipping school and her mom's allowing it..." and I just want to yell out, "What are you staring at, I'm homeschooled!". I am not ashamed of being homeschooled, but I don't like it when people judge a book by its cover. Just because to some people it may look like I'm playing hookey, and my mom may look like she's allowing it, but that does not mean that it is true. Sometimes I just tell myself, "It doesn't matter what these people think. I know that I am homeschooled, and my knowledge is all I need." but there are times when it is hard to let people's stares and glances go unnoticed.

Also, there are times that people build up the nerve to say something like, "Aren't you supposed to be in school?", and I reply, "I'm homeschooled." Usually I will catch their glances, and I know they are judging me because they do not support homeschooling.

But then there are my teachers. Very few (only two from the past two years of my education) have supported my homeschooling. My 6th grade Language Arts teacher was happy for me when I told her why I was leaving the school. My 7th grade Science teacher thought I made a great choice. All the rest sort of said, "Oh...wow, that's nice." and I knew they didn't have a good opinion of homeschooling. One of the secretaries, when I was with my mom handing the principal my withdraw papers, shook her head and mumbled, "Droppin' out..." I could not believe my ears! Did she really think that leaving to get a better education was dropping out?
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear some people get identification cards made for their kids who home school and are out during the school day without them just in case they are hassled.

Around my area, there are so many homeschooling kids, and so many different school systems with different schedules we don't really get that reaction at all.
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the National Home Education Research Institute…

“There were an estimated 1,700,000 to 2,100,000 children (grades K-12) home educated during 2002-2003 in the United States. Homeschooling appears to still be the fastest-growing form of education."

Now, there is an estimated 3,000,000 homeschooled children in America, and the number continues to grow.

It's great to hear this, don't you agree. I know we are not alone! Very Happy
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! Yay!
LasPlagas
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always told how cool it is that I get to be homeschooled. I've never had someone say something like "oh your homeschooled that sucks." I love it, it just can get boring. I can't imagine homeschooling as an only child. Surprised
bittersweet
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get almost exclusively positive responses--including from school teachers, board members etc. DH chats with a school board member he works with about school things all the time. Dh respects him for trying to change things instead of just complaining about them, and coworker respects him for taking charge of our children's education.

In our area approx one third of all kids are homeschooled, so it's far from unusal here. Just like all things in parenting, it seems that some ppl do get defensive when they choose not to homeschool. I Hear a lot, "that's great that you are able to do that , but I just couldn't". I say, ya know I believe that everyone can but it's not right for everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: