Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TWTM or Robinson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: TWTM or Robinson Reply with quote

I am familiar (somewhat) with The Well Trained Mind, although I have never used it. Recently I discovered Robinson Curriculum, but I haven't used it either. I was hoping that people who have used one or the other (or both) could give me some input. I just can't choose between them. Smile Thanks.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: TWTM or Robinson Reply with quote

Randigale wrote:
I am familiar (somewhat) with The Well Trained Mind, although I have never used it. Recently I discovered Robinson Curriculum, but I haven't used it either. I was hoping that people who have used one or the other (or both) could give me some input. I just can't choose between them. Smile Thanks.

Many comments I have read about Robinson indicate that although it seemed like a good idea, most people who are *not* the Robinsons can't pull it off. It's more than a curriculum; it's a lifestyle. It would not interest *me*--too hands off for the parents.

WTM has some interesting things to it, but again, it wouldn't interest *me* because I'm a more delayed academics kind of hser, more unit studies.

What about you? What kind of learner/teacher are you? How many dc and how old?
Randigale
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TWTM or Robinson Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:

Many comments I have read about Robinson indicate that although it seemed like a good idea, most people who are *not* the Robinsons can't pull it off. It's more than a curriculum; it's a lifestyle. It would not interest *me*--too hands off for the parents.

WTM has some interesting things to it, but again, it wouldn't interest *me* because I'm a more delayed academics kind of hser, more unit studies.

What about you? What kind of learner/teacher are you? How many dc and how old?

Well... I have a 6 year old boy whom I haven't homeschooled yet. He is in K right now. My 7 year old is in 2nd grade. I homeschooled her for first grade... or, rather, I tried. She would wake up before me in the morning and pull out her books. Before I got up, she was done with what I wanted her to do and then some. By the end of 1st grade she was able to read on a 5th grade level and I didn't work with her at all. I wanted to, but she beat me to it.

It is more important to my husband and I that they are able to learn on their own than anything else.... That is what made me think that Robinson would work for us. THoughts?
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TWTM or Robinson Reply with quote

I don't buy much curriculum material.

I like a lot of what I've read about Robinson, but if you're talking about buying his set of CDs, a lot of those books are available elsewhere for less--like free online or at the public library.

I really like WTM. I checked it out of the library, took notes, and returned it. I use my notes to guide my kids through reading the recommended books. We find them online or check them out of the library if we don't already own them.

I love any great-books-type curriculum and I love having my kids start each grade "young" and stay "ahead" of the typical grade-level for their age-group peers in institutional schools.

Ramona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: