New to hsing Bipolar and adhd son

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mochasmom72
User

New to hsing Bipolar and adhd son

Postby mochasmom72 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:48 pm

My son is 13. He has bipolar and adhd. I just pulled him out of school last week after 5 years of fighting with the school district here for his rights.
Anyone else have a child with similar issues?
He has really shocked me this past week, he is ready to just dive in. He wants to do work and have a schedual of doing things. Just looking for a bit of advice on things. I told him to write me a list of things that HE is interested in and we will work one interest in with all his subjects, then go to the next.
I am scared and excited for him all at the same time. Just want to make sure I do it the way that is right for him. I can say that he is very eager to start this process and I am not quite sure where to start.
Thanks!
Allie~

Mark

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:30 pm

sounds like you're on the right track with him already.. :)

mochasmom72
User

Postby mochasmom72 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:45 pm

oh thank you so much for saying that :) Just hearing that makes me so much more at ease.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:33 am

good. :)

I'm not sure how much of what we do here would cross over to help
at your house.. but I've got a couple Aspie's here and one of the
things that helps a lot is music. Listening to it AND learning to play it.
at thirteen.. hmm.. I think there is a series of books out there with
suggestions for what they should know in which grade. and it goes up
to sixth grade I think..

Forgive me but I can not bring the title to mind right now.. If I can thnk
of it I will post it for you.

mark

mochasmom72
User

Postby mochasmom72 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks :) My hubby plays guitar, and my son really wants to learn, so we got him one for christmas.I can't wait to see his face. He is very into music and art, so that is where most of his interests are at the moment, oh and bikes lol

jfwalls
User

Postby jfwalls » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi mochasmom. Our daughter (6) is bi-polar, and we are going through the same thing. It's such a ridiculous struggle to get the education she needs at school that we are considering homeschooling her. She's very smart, but her disorder makes it nearly impossible for her to sit in class everyday. Especially when the faculty won't listen to us, and continue to insist we're just not parenting her correctly or should increase her medication (which I would like to just take her off of). I feel for you, and wish you the best of luck.

Jaenyd
User

THe Easily Distracted child or ADHD child

Postby Jaenyd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi Mochasmom. I think that you have made a great decision pulling him out of school. Way to go...I'm sure he'll do great especially with the enthusiasm he is showing. :)

By the way, here is a blogpost on homeschooling an easily distracted child or an ADHD child.

http://www.homemaking911.com/2008/02/02 ... ted-child/

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”