TWTM or Robinson

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Randigale
User

TWTM or Robinson

Postby Randigale » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:32 am

I am familiar (somewhat) with The Well Trained Mind, although I have never used it. Recently I discovered Robinson Curriculum, but I haven't used it either. I was hoping that people who have used one or the other (or both) could give me some input. I just can't choose between them. :) Thanks.

elliemaejune
User

Re: TWTM or Robinson

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:33 am

Randigale wrote:I am familiar (somewhat) with The Well Trained Mind, although I have never used it. Recently I discovered Robinson Curriculum, but I haven't used it either. I was hoping that people who have used one or the other (or both) could give me some input. I just can't choose between them. :) Thanks.

Many comments I have read about Robinson indicate that although it seemed like a good idea, most people who are *not* the Robinsons can't pull it off. It's more than a curriculum; it's a lifestyle. It would not interest *me*--too hands off for the parents.

WTM has some interesting things to it, but again, it wouldn't interest *me* because I'm a more delayed academics kind of hser, more unit studies.

What about you? What kind of learner/teacher are you? How many dc and how old?

Randigale
User

Postby Randigale » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:40 pm

elliemaejune wrote:Many comments I have read about Robinson indicate that although it seemed like a good idea, most people who are *not* the Robinsons can't pull it off. It's more than a curriculum; it's a lifestyle. It would not interest *me*--too hands off for the parents.

WTM has some interesting things to it, but again, it wouldn't interest *me* because I'm a more delayed academics kind of hser, more unit studies.

What about you? What kind of learner/teacher are you? How many dc and how old?

Well... I have a 6 year old boy whom I haven't homeschooled yet. He is in K right now. My 7 year old is in 2nd grade. I homeschooled her for first grade... or, rather, I tried. She would wake up before me in the morning and pull out her books. Before I got up, she was done with what I wanted her to do and then some. By the end of 1st grade she was able to read on a 5th grade level and I didn't work with her at all. I wanted to, but she beat me to it.

It is more important to my husband and I that they are able to learn on their own than anything else.... That is what made me think that Robinson would work for us. THoughts?

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:24 pm

I don't buy much curriculum material.

I like a lot of what I've read about Robinson, but if you're talking about buying his set of CDs, a lot of those books are available elsewhere for less--like free online or at the public library.

I really like WTM. I checked it out of the library, took notes, and returned it. I use my notes to guide my kids through reading the recommended books. We find them online or check them out of the library if we don't already own them.

I love any great-books-type curriculum and I love having my kids start each grade "young" and stay "ahead" of the typical grade-level for their age-group peers in institutional schools.

Ramona

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”