Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's next after basic addition / subtraction?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: What's next after basic addition / subtraction? Reply with quote

What is the next thing that you teach after they have basic addition and subtraction up to 10 down? Is it the higher addition and subtraction works or something else? Thanks!
Starlily
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brenda,
You may already be doing this, but one thing I noticed that really helped us, was learning to 'skip count'...we used little songs to help us count by 2's, 3's, 4's, etc. It was fun for the children when they were younger (I just did it as filler when we were out and about) and really made multiplication easy... Off the top of my head, we sang the 3's song to the tune of 'jingle bells' Wink
HTH
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Skip-counting song Reply with quote

Starlily wrote:
we sang the 3's song to the tune of 'jingle bells'

Oh, I'm so glad you said this! That's beautiful! I've never been able to come up with a tune that fit any of the skip-counting anywhere near that well.

Thanks,
Ramona
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything else that I can use to teach skip counting. I feel that my daughter is ready for this but we don't do well trying to sing different things to a tune like you're suggesting. Even if you just want to point me to a good website... Thanks!
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can make connect the dots that count by 2's, 3, 4...

make patterns and count the beads

graph paper works well too, for patterns
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know anywhere that I can make the dot to dots like you suggest but for free? Thanks!
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draw them with a ruler and marker and then copy up as many as you need?
Kitty-Cat
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.abcteach.com/Dots/pigfives.htm by fives
http://www.abcteach.com/Dots/dotby5.htm by fives
http://www.abcteach.com/Dots/snowmandot.htm by fives
http://members.learningplanet.com/act/count/free.asp online skip counting
http://www.kidsrcrafty.com/dot-to-dot.htm down the bottum has a few sheet dot to dot's by 2,5 and 10
http://www.funbrain.com/dots/ by 5 or backwards
http://www.free-coloring-pages.com/page/dot-11.html by 2's to 120
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks! Ask and you shall receive LOL
Kitty-Cat
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol well Links or smilies
amird
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: another idea Reply with quote

I think expanding the range of add/sub to 20 is also something worth thinking about.
8+5 is much different than 7+2
Bob Hazen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After basic addition and subtraction to 10, I recommend:
1. Provide repeated exposure to skip counting. Get a skip count CD from my website (www.AlgebraForKids.com) and just play it LOTS for your child. Learning to count in multiples is a set-up for success for so many other areas of math.
2. Play lots of games involving counting - Yahtzee, Parcheesi, Monopoly, Rummy 500 (NOT Gin Rummy), Chutes & Ladders, etc. Lots and lots and lots of counting that is based on adding numbers lots of times (whether dice or cards).
3. Explicitly teach your child that 7 + 2 = 9 is so closely related to 70 + 20 = 90 and 700 + 200 = 900, and that 8 + 5 = 13 is so closely related to 80 + 50 = 130 and 800 + 500 = 1300. Play games with your current addition flash cards, where you show the flash card of 7 + 2 = 9 and say "tens" and your child has to respond "70 + 20 = 90" - or you say "hundreds" and your child has to respond "700 + 200 = 900." This connectedness in base 10 place value is CRUCIAL - and not all that hard to teach (for you) or for your child (to figure out).
4. Start doing activities with money with your child, involving pennies, dimes, and dollars, or any combination of coins.

There's other stuff to do, too - but this is a start.

all the best,
Bob Hazen
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I love to read advice from Bob!

Thank you,
Ramona
mom1967
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: next, speeding up using flash card etc Reply with quote

I think practice by various of ways such as token or flash card to speed up is very important on math, esp before double digits and regrouping kick in.

Flash card, or jsut call out some addition/substraction for kids to solve mentally.
Bob Hazen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: another idea on skip counting Reply with quote

The important thing on any skill is to use it. We have lots of memories when my sons were in the 4-8 age range of skip counting in different situations. We'd be somewhere and I'd have them figure out both how many of a certain item there were as well as what the situation seemed to suggest that they skip count by.

For example, one time we were in a small movie theater with aisles, and the center section had rows of something like 8 seats, with the side sections had rows of something like 6 seats. So they skip counted the middle section by 8's and the side sections by 6's, then did some mental addition and came up with the total number of seats in the theater. I also remember having them skip counting cars in a parking lot, quarters arranged in stacks of 4, books in a bookcase that could be skip counted easily in groups of 3, cookies on a baking tray in rows of 4, bottles of juice in six-packs, and once even spilled nails on the floor. The cars in the parking lot and the nails on floor did not have any particular grouping amount that suggested itself, so they would just choose some convenient grouping and skip count by that amount. When they were younger, they tended to skip count by 2's and by 3's, so I think I remember occasionally having them skip count by higher amounts.

If you keep your eyes open as you go through your day and your life, you start to see lots of situations and occasions where it's interesting to know how many items are there - like the number of emoticons next to the message body when composing a message on this site - they're arranged in groups of 4, for which it's easy to count by 4's till you get to the last row, which has just 3, for which the skip counting aloud would be, "4, 8, 12, 16, then 17, 18, 19."

BTW, the above example of skip counting is more often than not how counting occurs in real life - you usually don't have a whole-number multiple of the skip count base number to count - that is, if you're counting by 6's, you seldom have exactly 24 or 30 or 36 or 42, etc., of the items in question. So learning to count on by ones from a higher multiple is also good mental math - "6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, then 37, 38, 39, 40 - Dad, there's 40" - is more often than not how the skip counting goes.

Hope this helps!

Bob Hazen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: