Kinesthetic learner

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

VanE1
User

Kinesthetic learner

Postby VanE1 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:51 pm

I'm looking for curriculum for an advanced 8th grade girl who will begin homeschooling in January (was in public school up till now). She is an "off-the-charts" kinesthetic learner. I would appreciate recommendations for math (Algebra 2), English, social studies, and science. The family is very busy running its own business, so prep time may be limited. Thanks so much for your help!

Ramona
User

Re: Kinesthetic learner

Postby Ramona » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:52 pm

I have a friend here in my area who has always homeschooled her kinesthetic DD, now in 9th grade. She asked me to tell you the following:

"Unfortunately if one does not have the time to take complete advantage of teaching moments when they come nor have the time to work everything to make it tactile I don't know what to say. In one way this has been easy for me since we have not had money for curriculums so making my own has been best. As far as starting home educating in 8th grade one must detoxify from the public school system and work at making the family a single unit in its priority. My daughter can now easily learn from all media formats but only because she was taught to do so with an early emphasis on her strengths and carrying them over to other areas in life.

"I know that it can help to simply interject all subject with a favored thing. My child loves animals. If anything can be related to animals in any way the lesson will stick. Sometimes it is as simple as allowing some doodle time onto a math paper to draw some animals. For some it is simply the investment in a swivel chair so the child can move with the parameters of not bumping the table or bothering those next to them. Standing or swaying while working on text books is well received."

HTH,
Ramona (and friend)

VanE1
User

Re: Kinesthetic learner

Postby VanE1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:06 pm

Thanks for the insights and thanks for taking time to reply!

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”