Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone find that schedules don't work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I'm just the opposite of most of you (fortunatly, since we hs, that's ok!). When I tried to go without a schedule we were accomplishing nothing. Once we got on a schedule, 45 minute time periods, scheduled breaks, the whole nine yards, my kids began to thrive! I was really shocked by it, but I'm glad I figured out a schedule we could do, that didn't kill us.
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Schedule Reply with quote

Our day has sort of a schedule "outline", if you know what I mean. Although we have a planner/agenda that our mom sets out for us daily, my brother and I are mainly self-taught and we have no particular order in which we complete our assignments. We do have due dates for our assignments, tests, exams, and projects, but besides that we have no real solid schedule, and it works perfectly fine for us.
my3boyshomeschool
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a loose routine rather than a schedule. I find that everytime I try to make a schedule, something happens to interrupt it!! There are certain days where we definitely have places to be at certain times so we do follow a schedule to that extent. However, we don't do subjects in a certain order or for a certain period of time, we just go through our checklist in any order we see fit for that day. Very Happy
homeschoolmommy
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we dont do schedules around here. We have been been just been flying around by the seat of our pants for the past year. we tried schedules the first year and they defiantely did not work. no more schedules for us.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the beginning of each year, I send my kids a school calendar with the date I want all work completely by. That date is when they will be taking the CAT and ACT or whatever.

Based on that, they go through their curriculum and tell me how much they need to do each week.

I then send them a list on Saturday of what they need to do for the week. Each day I check on progress, am availible if they don't understand things and to go over things with.

At the end of the week it's usually done. If it's not they don't get a weekend because they didn't take care of things. That's rare.

If they take away from what I call "prime school time," which is 12:30-5:30, I tell them to make sure they also take away from "free time" to make up for it.

In this way, we keep a very flexible schedule but everything gets done.

When we first started, they couldn't have any privileges until the work was done. If it wasn't done by 5, they had to go to bed early. Those things are no longer necessary. They are teens now. They still occasionally have time management problems but maturity is helping.
ilovemy2bunnies
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: reading this.... Reply with quote

Reading this is really helping me.I always forgot to relax enjoy my son and homeschooling.It is okay if we have a slow day or late day or if he sleeps the day away.LOL
I get so caught up in numbers I forget and end up stressed about what did not get done.
laurabeth
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get up at a set time, and we try to start at a set time, the kids go to bed at a set time, but other than that we really just have an order of the subjects. We always do reading and writing first thing, one because its most important in my book, and two because it is the hardest for my dd, then we do math, one because it is next important in my opinion and two because it is her favorite and it gives her a reason to get through the tough parts of reading and writing. From there we do lunch and break, then we do Science and Social studies and more reading (me to them) and other extras like asl, art, etc. If I didn't have some order we would never get anything done, and my dd has to have structure to her day.
momagator
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a schedule that is structured but pretty loose at the same time.

We do our devotions first (usually while I am waking up with a coffee Rolling Eyes )

I start our first day of the year with LA, Math, SS and then science. The time spent on each subject varies half an hour to an hour. We then rotate the subjects every day so that the last subject finished the day before becomes our first subject the next day. After these subjects are finished the kids go onto the computer (spanish or school games), arts or whatever they want (except t.v.) usually for however long they want.

I found that the earlier we get going the better (I don't mean EARLY though, around 9:00 a.m. or so) but this hasn't always worked out - there are times when I am not well and need to sleep in. This was more of a problem when the kids were younger and wouldn't do any work unless I was there to "stand guard" but lately they have been taking the initiative and started working without me! So our devotional sometimes ends up in the middle of the day or not until the evening (which is o.k. too!).

Of course everything goes out the window every once in a while - like needing a break from the routine, field trips, doctor appointments, my mother showing up for a week Shocked ...you get the picture. LOL

We have tried all sorts of schedules, unschedules and everything in-between and this is what seems to be working the best for us. I guess even though most would consider it a schedule it really doesn't feel like one to me, it feels more like a routine (if that makes sense). Anyway, that is our "normal" day.

Have a good week all.
mark_egp
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheduling time is like budgeting money - there's never enough to go around but it's helpful to have some idea of where it's all gone. One suggestion is to keep a record of how you spend your time. Every hour or half-hour write down what you are doing in just a word or two. After a week or so, just look at what you've done and you will automatically get some ideas for streamlining, rearranging for better use of time.

We have a simple schedule form on our site - it's free, just print and use. It's shown on this page and you can download the attached file for easier printing: http://www.everygoodpath.net/SimpleSchedules
lambie
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm new here and have just loved all the postings!!! Great place to be!! I have a dd that is now 10....we've schooled her since preschool and she has always been an early riser, thankgoodness we both are!! Anyway, we school through the morning hours and by 12:00 noon we are almost done and wind up by 1:00. We are flexible in what to do next type thing but if we don't get it done up front in our day, we wouldn't be much good by late afternoon and zero is ever normally done at night...that is our kick back family time!!
We just love homeschool and the freedom it gives us...being able to study/learn what your interests are is certainly a wonderful day!!!!!!!! We love the 3-4 hours of afternoon fun on days with our homeschool group too!!!! Ballet and tap are a super P.E. as well , which she enjoys in the afternoons!!! So many things to explore!!! Have a great school day, Katy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: