Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone find that schedules don't work?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Does anyone find that schedules don't work? Reply with quote

In all honesty they don't work for me and my family and I'm slowly doing away with them more and more. We wake up when we want (unless we have somewhere to be), eat when we're hungry, homeschool when we're ready. The only thing we really do on schedule (besides the stuff that has to be done on schedule) is go to bed at 8 or 9 PM LOL Is anyone else like this? I hope I'm not alone and ruining my daughter!
Aurie
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally can not live without some kind of schedule. I would get absolutely nothing done, ever! But mine isn't hard core or inflexible. I start with a list of what I must get done todayand then what I would like to get done today. I make an order and only mentally say it needs to be done by such and such a time. Rarely do I follow my schedule to a tee. But I just have to have something that is driving me through out the day. I do know that some people do not have to work that way, but I am not one of them. Smile

As far as ruining your daughter? Well, if she is learning and growing, then I doubt you are ruining her Wink
FLMom
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wake up and go to bed at set times, that's the only set in stone schedule we have. As for school, I plan out what I would like to accomplish for the week. No schedule, just a list of objectives. Very Happy
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boys have a list of things that they check off each day. I can be flexible about what they mean, (uno for math, writing aletter for handwriting, and spelling) but that is about it, we start with a bible study and prayer and then they decide what to do next.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I border on unschooling for the both of us LOL Since it's only the 2 of us and we get things done then I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference. My daughter is learning and growing. I have a clean house and a decent business. I should just relax I guess but my parents are always harping on me LOL I know I should probably half way ignore them LOL
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone find that schedules don't work? Reply with quote

I'm a night-owl so I almost never get up for family breakfast. Schedules work really well for my kids, but I chafe under them. I wanted to totally "unschool" 12 years ago when I first read about it, but my little ones craved a routine. It's there to help them, but I don't obsess over it.

Some mornings I'm still not awake even when the snacks are over and it's nearly 10 a.m. and the kids want to get going with school. The oldest ones start doing their next assignments. The littler ones play. They all know we'll start opening exercises when Mommy is good and ready.

After that, anything goes. I keep an order in my head of what to do next, just so I can refer to it when people are hanging around doing nothing and need some guidance, and to keep me from leaving out anything vital. This morning at 11 I felt terribly hungry and wondered why and then realized I had completely forgotten to ever have any breakfast.

Sometimes we switch around the order of subjects and I just have to keep track of what's been done and what hasn't. Sometimes I spend all morning giving a little (little?) lecture of reminiscences, imparting my lifetime of wisdom to my darlings. Rolling Eyes Then I might skip that day's lesson for everyone on whatever subject I decide to count my lecture as. Sometimes they beg for more chapters at lunch and we spend half the afternoon on reading aloud just for the joy of it!

My laxness of schedule has occasionally worried DH. He has questioned me (grilled me) at times, harangued me at other times. But I've always been able to make him see reason. Wink

If I lie in bed for a half hour tossing and turning at night, I follow my mom's great advice and get up again and do one more useful thing. Sometimes that one thing takes 3 minutes, other times it takes 3 hours. Whatever!

I never wake anyone up unless they have somewhere to be. If they sleep through chores, either those who are awake take up the slack or else the chores get done later. The kids do seem to thrive on schedules for the most part though.

I don't think you're alone, and I really doubt that you're ruining your DD.

Ramona
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ramona! I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. Sometimes I just get worried about the what ifs. It seems that we do a little homeschooling each day even if it's in an unschooling format so maybe I should just relax. LOL Thanks!
Starlily
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schedules don't really work for us either...especially since activities/classes are all over the place...I do have a few 'guidelines'...the earlier we get started on 'academics' (preferably over a cup of cocoa at the breakfast table) the more we get done, generally... and the tv/computer/vid games stays off until late afternoon, unless it's educational Wink
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything my daughter plays or watches is educational LOL I tend to lean to the unschooling side of things but do do some workbooks and such with her so that we have something in the portfolio.
teenutter
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my house I only have 1 teenager left, She is very motivated except for math, so our day begins with math to get it out of the way. We get up when we wake up I have found that getting up early sometimes isnt always best my youngest tends to read alot at night so she doesnt wake up early and if I wake her she is unable to focus so I let her sleep til she awakens (sometimes this is as late as 10 am) then we have breakfast and we start math, the rest she complete mostly independantly with switched on schoolhouse. The way I see it we have all day, unless we have an appointment. Sometimes we go to appointments and then return home to finish our school day. Then sometimes we just have school on Saturday instead. Nothing is written in stone, this works better for us, we complete our 180 school days and all the material is covered.

We love it
Tina
schoolymum
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: hi all Reply with quote

gosh it makes me feel better reading you all.
I have recently in the week got up with a very early start.I wont make you cringe with what time.
no,I have been getting up at around 5.30am,taking some time out,gotting a bath,then waking the kids around 6,well the 2 year old,he is ready to be awake at that time,thats why i started the early mornings in the first place.If i sleep through to msay 9pm.he is in a total bad mood all day,and his scream pierces my brain. Shocked where as i find,I get up early,have a nice breakfast together,then do a little math,or writing,the toddler likes to do some drawing,its beautiful,nice and peaceful.
then jayke(toddler)is good for a morning sleep.so we catch up on some together.
so far so good,this is a new routine,and although its realy hard for me to change from a night owl to a morning bird,I can handle it as it works.
I guess my point(i get there in the end...he he he)is that you do whatever works for you and your family.whatever feels right.and way I see it,if the klids are happy,then ,well,its working. Very Happy

good luck to all

amanda

momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I guess my point(i get there in the end...he he he)is that you do whatever works for you and your family.whatever feels right.and way I see it,if the klids are happy,then ,well,its working. "

THE JOYS OF HOMESCHOOLING!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
schoolymum
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

Very Happy Smile Shocked Surprised Razz Wink
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the joy of homeschooling that I often forget: Do what works best for you and your family. Thanks for reminding me of it yet again Wink
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to remember this too "Do what works best for you and your family"

I always feel guilty if we sleep in or don't get a certain amount of stuff done which in turn makes me stressed and cranky which doesn't accomplish much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: