Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschoolin' on the farm in NC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IrenaFarm
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Homeschoolin' on the farm in NC Reply with quote

Pleased to have found this forum. I've just started homeschooling my two young sons - PJ seven and Joey five. I hadn't intended to push Joe so early really but he insisted after watching PJ start last year.

I was traditionally schooled, private, but my mom homeschooled four of my younger siblings from K-12 so she's mentoring me. She's also done some work in early childhood ed so she's been a great resource there (my education is history and classical literature, yeah, big help!).

Funny thing, about nine years ago I did a stint as a high school teacher and I swore I'd never be a teacher again. But really what I think I was determining was that I'd never have anything to do with formal schooling again if I could help it. Wink

I started teaching my kids as soon as they were born and it was natural to move right into "real" curricula when the time came.

As for daily life here - we raise sheep in north central North Carolina, not far from the border of Virginia. I grew up in the city and I love offering this life to my kids. We are not isolated, however. My kids spend two days a week with their grandma, who lives in the downtown historic district - so they also get the city life too. They walk to the park and play with the YMCA kids, etc. I think that's important though not as important as what they get here.

We lamb in March (um, ish - sometimes we mess up and it's a little earlier). Life basically revolves around the lambing cycle and culminates when the lambs start hitting the ground. We use Border collies to move the sheep around as needed. The kids have a little cart in which they move lambs and the mamas follow the cart to their mothering pens. The kids like doing this when it's warm but not so much when it's cold and dark out! Rolling Eyes

Summertime is more fun with less sheep work and more fun like fishing and swimming and bike riding. We just moved here - next year we'll make an effort to meet the neighborhood kids we heard last summer.

My goodness that got long. I have to restrain myself. I'm a very fast typer and a very longwinded person. Laughing Nice to meet you!
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: hi sheep lady Reply with quote

i know a little about sheep, my friend has them, she also had to buy a llama due to coyotes. Do you have those?

I know even less about hs. I am in my second year of homeschool. I have a nine year old daughter.

Welcome, hope you find lots of help here, i sure do.
have a good day. Very Happy
IrenaFarm
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two large dogs who stay with the sheep all the time and drive off intruders! We hear coyotes all the time but they don't come near here.

Our neighbor who has cattle has two guard donkeys. Very Happy
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to the forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: