Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terrified, need support!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkatiemom
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Terrified, need support! Reply with quote

I have made the decision, purchased all of the materials, and now comes the hard part of notifying the school. Oh, why am I so nervous?!

I am only pulling one child from school, and therein lies the problem. He has been sick with a bad sore throat and cold since Monday, and the timing couldn't be worse. His teacher sent me an email telling me that they miss him at the school, and when I dropped my youngest off today the resource room teacher leaned in the car and asked my oldest how he was feeling (he doesn't look very sick, and admittedly has been incredibly happy the last few days).

The longer I know but the school doesn't, along with the fact that ds has been out the whole week so far, brings that ugly mantra to mind: "..Oh, what a tangled web we weave..."

I guess this, in a way, is the last hurdle, yet it is the one that can get ugly in any number of ways. I feel like there must be one perfect way to get through it unscathed, I just wish I knew what it was!

I emailed the teacher back, asking for her personal email address (so that I can explain to her what we are going to do and why). It just seems so much more respectful and appropriate than uncerimoniously pulling him from the school with nothing more than a legal letter.

Any opinions here? Just as I want to do the right thing for my son (and it really is the right thing), I want to do the right thing with regard to the school that my children all attend and that I personally respect and admire.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to homeschooling in Texas Smile

Ok, here's the thing: You have an absolute right to teach your dc at home. As much as you like and admire his school, for some reason you have decided that it is best for him to be at home with you. Don't allow any warm fuzzy feelings for the school to affect either your decision to homeschool or the next steps you take to get him out for good.

You will need to notify the school office that you are withdrawing your ds. If you want, you can e-mail the teacher, but you still should notify the office yourself. It is not required by law; however, if you don't the school may think that he is truant and then you'll be in a mess Surprised

You do NOT need to fill out any special forms or get any sort of permission or anything else. Your handwritten letter is sufficient. Do not give the school any more information than is necessary, such as a list of materials you'll be using. It is not required by law.

There are LOTS of hsers in your area Smile
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, as his mom you know whats best!
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're correct dkatiemom. Smile
hang in there.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Terrified, need support! Reply with quote

Notifying the school means just that.

Parents do not have to ask the school for permission to withdraw a child.

Parents do not have to convince the school that homeschooling is best for the child.

Parents do not have to get the school to agree or approve or support the decision to homeschool.

Parents only need let the school know: The child is leaving.

The emotions of the teachers, resource personnel, and other school employees are irrelevant.

Planning to withdraw a child from school without keeping school employees informed of those plans during the planning process does not constitute deception. The school has no right to know the inner thoughts of the parents of its students.

The school does not need to give permission before a child is withdrawn.

The school does not need to agree or approve or support the decision to homeschool.

The school only needs to know who is on the rolls and who isn't.

Ramona
BusyBee
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never informed the school myself that my son was going to be homeschooled. I filled out the form necessary, brought it straight to the school board, received my notice from the board the very next day! Very Happy And let the school wait for their letter from the board. You don't have to do ANY explaining to the school.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusyBee wrote:
I never informed the school myself that my son was going to be homeschooled. I filled out the form necessary, brought it straight to the school board, received my notice from the board the very next day! Very Happy And let the school wait for their letter from the board. You don't have to do ANY explaining to the school.
Cool wonderful.! Smile
RJ
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply did not sign up my daughter at high school the next school year. I did get a call from the school; the lady was nice & polite. I simply explained that we were homeschooling that year. She sent a form. Since it parroted the state's minimal requirements and the same items as are on the THSC recommended letter format, I sent filled it out and sent it back. Haven't heard from them since. Texas Home School Coalition (a Texas version of HSLDA) has a lot of useful forms/info on their website: www.thsc.org
Gypsy'sMom
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my thoughts on this subject, for what they are worth...My announcing that I wanted to HS my daughter got me horrified looks, questions a plenty, and so on. Some people just couldn't get over the fact that it was actually LEGAL to do this. What people (none home-schoolers and public schoolers) seem to lose sight of sometimes is that we (as parents) have a respossiblity to our children, to do whatever is nessesary to help them live full, happy lives. You are your childs parent...not the state, they...(for the most part) have no control over them. Instead of feeling bad, uneasy, or what have you...you need to be proud. You ARE doing this for the greater good of your children, and THEY are the only ones that matter. So when it comes time for them to graduate and go off to college or work, public school parents can smile with pride at their children, knowing what they have accomplish. Parents who HSed their children can smile at not only what their children have accomplished but the feeling of knowing that YOU yourself had first hand experience in molding them and helping them become what they are today...and THAT everyone is priceless.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be so concerned with explaining yourself to the child's teacher. Feeling like we need to justify ourselves to teachers and officials could potentially turn into us legally having to justify ourselves - hence the "don't give them any more information than legally necessary" angle. Public schools already try to get homeschoolers to give up more information than is legally required and the more homeschoolers comply, the more we may be legally forced to give up in the future. I would follow the legal procedures in your state, thank the teacher for her time and concern, but say that you've decided to go in a different direction with his education and leave it at that. It's really nobody's business but your own.

Good luck and hang in there! It'll be fine and then you can get on with your lives. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: