Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow this maybe easy but when you're new is too confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dajisali
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Wow this maybe easy but when you're new is too confused Reply with quote

Hi! my son is in fifth grade and he'll going to be in middle school next year, I live in a very good area Weston-Florida where the public school are "A" and the elementary has been very good with lovely teachers and they love him, but a think next year will be the time for home school my son, Im talking about it with him and he's starting to agree with it. I don't much about it, but I know now that it can be online classes and homeschool

The mothers of two of my son'friends don't think is a good idea because he is already in a public school and the school here are good...but I don't feel so sure about middle and high school so I heard what they said but I don't pay attention...I think I'll learn a lot of all this too, we have a 21 moths baby and We wish we can do hs him in the future. one more thing ...my son is a easy boy but very distracted, with your experience you thing hs will help,

Quote:
There's a movie about just about every subject to introduce it and make it more fun
What is the movie? and "umbrella"school? or when can I found all this information. Sorry I have too many quiestions.

Thanks and God bless you all.

Last edited by dajisali on Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An umbrella school is a school, usually a church school, that basically provides a layer of protection between the state and your homeschool. The umbrella school fulfills whatever legal requirements there are for private schooling, such as testing and record keeping, and then leaves you mostly alone so you can homeschool however you see fit. Since the legal requirements for private schools are generally less strict than for homeschools, this is often a good option to go with.
dajisali
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sooooo much for all the suggestions and answers you have been so helpful. I understand a little bit more things and I like the idea to mix homeschool with some online classes.

Thanks again Lili
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked what I mean about a movie to introduce any subject. I can give you some suggestions on things to look for. Many of these may be available through a local library system.
Charlie Brown (Peanuts) has an American History set that introduces many of those subjects.
School House Rock can be a great resource for History, Government, Multiplication, Science . . . etc.
There are many "documentary" types, even for kids made by National Geographic, The Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, PBS, etc.
The Magic Schoolbus introduces many science subjects.
1776 and Ben and Me are good introductions to the Continental Congress and the Declaration of Independence.

I could give you better direction if I knew the particular subjects, but that's a good start Very Happy
dajisali
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your ideas...you and Theodore have been so helpfull now I have little bit of information.

God bless you.
Lili
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: