Homeschooling and Horses?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ally
User

Homeschooling and Horses?

Postby Ally » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:16 pm

Hey, I'm new here..........and I'm not trying to spam/advertise, but I am a horse trainer/riding instructor in Georgia, and I wanted an opinion on something, so thanks in advance!

I was wondering if homeschool children need an 'extra activity' as a part of their education?

I am trying to reach out to more people to understand the relationship between a person and a horse. They teach responsibility, and give a feeling of self-worth and self-satisfaction to say the least.

Riding and working with horses is an educating and rewarding experience, and I've personally seen it help children with their "home life" as well as school work.

If you could give me any feedback it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Ally
User

Postby Ally » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:17 pm

and i just realized i could've put this in the homeschool/sports section! sorry!

Miyu
User

Postby Miyu » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:28 pm

My daughter used to have a horse...her dad had to sell it...but I think riding and learning about horses is a wonderful extra-curricular activity.

Reaching out to the home-school community is a good idea because home-schoolers usually have flexible schedules and you could teach during the school day...where most kids would have to take lessons after school was out or on weekends...you could keep after school and evening slots open for public and private school kids, and have some day-time slots open for home-school kids...

Ally
User

Postby Ally » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:11 pm

thank you! :D

just out of curiousity......how would i reach out to homeschool kids in my area? is there a website i can go to?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:32 pm

The best way is usually through homeschool groups. We list quite a few here:
http://www.home-school.com/groups/GA.html

Some of those may have more detailed local listings that you can check as well, or at least will know someone in your area that they can refer you to.

Ally
User

Postby Ally » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:44 pm

thank you! i will def try looking there :D

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:04 am

If you were in Louisiana, we would hook up with you. My DS so wanted a horse. We just couldn't find any property (that someone would sell to a yank :roll: ) to put a horse on when we moved here. If there was a training facility here, we would definately get him involved.

Ally
User

Postby Ally » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:22 pm

what part of Louisiana?

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:51 am

We are NE, almost in Arkansas.

dragonfly183
User

Postby dragonfly183 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:48 pm

i grew up with a horse. it was a very good expeience for me. My dad often brags that buying that horse was the best money he ever invested.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”