Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help 7th Grader Math

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BethTN
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Help 7th Grader Math Reply with quote

My 7th grade dd just doesn't get math at all. She can do some basic operations, but anything above that is very hard for her. When learning a new concept, she seems to understand and works her way through it, but when it is reviewed at the end of a chapter or anywhere else along the course, she forgets the concept and has to relearn it again. We have homeschooled for 6 years.I am very weak in math and it is my hardest subject to explain to her. I thought it was just my teaching skills, but we are doing HomeSat this year and she still doesn't understand. I think a lot of her problems stems from never learning her upper times tables. We have tried everything. Drills, Worksheets, Flashcards, etc.. She has never memorized them entirely. Please let me know what I need to do to catch her up. She has to be tested in March and I'm afraid she will score very low in math. We have homeschooled from the beginning and this has always been a struggle.
Thanks!
Beth
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Have you tried Saxon, or checking her learning style? Reply with quote

Have you tried Saxon Math? Every problem set contains a few of each type of problem used throughout the previous sets, so it's good for keeping drilled in the concepts without beating them to death. Regular drills might contain dozens of the type of problem currently being learned, but someone who has trouble with math will only remember the basic concept long enough to finish the drill - not terribly useful. You need reminders for at least several weeks to move the concept into long-term memory.

Also, have you tried checking her learning style? Auditory or kinesthetic-tactile (hand-on) learners often have a lot of trouble understanding and retaining concepts through visuals. You might do better with videos or math manipulatives if your daughter isn't visual.
BethTN
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Here is what I think I am going to do. I think I will stop BJU math, because there is not any review except at the end of the chapter. I am going to get Saxon 76 and give it a try..and use some supplemental books that I printed online.

I am just so worried about the standardized test she has to take. She has not been tested since 3rd grade and she scored low in math then. I wish there was a way to catch her up before march.

thanks!
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: If she doesn't score well, then she doesn't score well. Reply with quote

If she doesn't score well, then she doesn't score well. The best you can do right now is find a method that works - hopefully Saxon - and start catching her up to where she should be. If you work year-round rather than taking the summer off, you can keep her workload small while still doing significantly more than a grade of math per year. She may or may not score well now, but she should be able to score well in another year or two.
Mary Pride
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Drill software can really help! Reply with quote

If the problem is not knowing math facts, the BEST way to upgrade those quickly is with math drill software. The best I have found so far is Barnum Software's "Quarter Mile" program. It's very motivating, as you are racing against your own best speed scores, and completely customizable, so you can drill just the facts you need to improve.

I suggest you drill not only the missing multiplication facts, but ALL the math facts, as if your student is slow in ANY math facts it will really slow down higher math, as you have found!

Go to http://www.thequartermile.com to find out more.
Princess_Fyara
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link that might help, if she get's interested, she might get hooked! http://thatquiz.com/
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great tutoring site out there that works on-line. It's mindsprinting.com. I really wish that I would have had something like this to help me with math. They offer a free assesment test and sample lessons on-line. It can be used as a stand-alone curriculum or it can be used to suppliment a student's understanding. Try it out and see if it's right for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: