MY LITTLE BOY HAS SPEECH IN SCHOOL ?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Jenlynn4673
User

Postby Jenlynn4673 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:22 am

Gill,

I would get a hold of his IEP, and incorporate his needs into your personal program.
I don't know what your childs speech needs are, so it may not be that simple in your household.

Since attending the last several speech sessions with DS since he has officially transferred out over a week ago to our home school... he has met and mastered the ALL his IEP goals set forth this year, we need to really work with him on annunciating his words. He has a tendacy to slur. So, to be honest, I am not certain if we will continue speech after the beginning of the new year. We did ask for a evaluation to adjust his goals or make new goals. With us, if it is only a matter of annunciation... we may take that into our hands as well.

I hope that it is something as simple as that with you Gill.
Jen
Mom to 2 boys
7 and 8
Officially Homeschooling Jan 2007!

DESmom
User

Postby DESmom » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:48 pm

If he has an IEP and the school(home) doesnt have what he needs, talk with your Doc, I have 3 friends that kids are getting their therapy, speech and occupational through their medical insurance. The doc put in a referal for a local private therapist and coded it as a medical need not an educational one and their insurance picked it up or part of it anyway.
Chele
Homeschooling mom to
Katelyn, Breanna, Danelle, Morgann, Terresa, Timothy and Isabella

romacox
User

Postby romacox » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:31 am

gillenkl wrote:I learned today that after speaking with my State DOE - Delaware only provides therapy services to students enrolled in public or private schools) this doesn't include homeschoolers. I will be homeschooling my son in January and he will lose both his speech and occupational therapy services. Very disappointing.

Some private schools will allow homeschool families to enroll their children in a few of their classes (example speech therapy) , while continuing many of their courses at home. They often do evaluations at the end of the year as well. Again each State is different, but this is a possible solution for you.

jmaseo501
User

Speech Therapy

Postby jmaseo501 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:55 am

Hi,

I have a neighborhood who has a problem with his speech. He seems uncomfortable when speaking and his words are kinda limited. The kid is already 5 years of age and yet not the normal age most children develop their speeches. What you think would be problem and the best way to help him?

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”