Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

not your usual post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iltos
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: not your usual post Reply with quote

this is a long story.....but it boils down to a bright 14 year old who just started high school and hates it.

she's taken to just not going through a variety of deceits (she calls it a prison, and i cannot disagree -tho i also see that her friends have happily made the adjustment), aided by a just-completed bout of mono that knocked her out for a month

her mom and i are separated, and mom feels it's all due to a lack of boundaries and consequences...our parenting styles are very different....she tends to react out of anger and impose laws....i feel she is destructive to self confidence....my weakness is that i'm too forgiving, too supportive....borderline enabler no doubt....so there is some substance to mom's critque of me as our daughter's primary parent.

my daughter wants to go into the independant study program at the high school, but i know the way her mind works....unless it's something that fascinates her (biology...most sciences), she's not much of an "independant study" kind of person...and the program is basically just high school without the class time.....

my dream would be to tailor a program for her interests, and not worry about "the future" (meaning college, i suppose) for a while, but i have neither the time (i do have to work) nor the expertise to challenge her

and i doubt her desire to work with dear old dad, anyway....i have conciously raised an independant and spirited/passionate kid, but am faced with a situation i never anticipated, at least to this degree.....in a sense, she is being held back by her age, tho of course there is a part of her that IS exactly her age, as well....

i don't know what to do

any thoughts?
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend in college who was homeschooled through high school and does very well. However, she had always been homeschooled, and this brings forward a very different attitude toward "schoolwork".

There are unit studies that can be done based on her interests which would include assignments to read, write, compute (math), learn the history of, learn the science behind whatever the topic is. She could get a good education that way . . . If you're willing to put the effort in to a) make sure each discipline is adequately covered in each study and b) make her stick to her work and complete it. If you're not willing to do those things, homeschooling won't work well for you.

If you think it's something you're willing to do, I always recommend the book So, You're Thinking About Homeschooling? by Lisa Whelchel, which gives a good overview of the styles and curricula available.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: