Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desperate For Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to help. Smile

and you know... piano or keyboard might do him well also.

just a thought as I listen to my son practice. Smile

mark
batwing
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: from Grandma Reply with quote

Hi....am enjoying reading all the stuff on these forums. My daughter is trying to HS her "energetic" 8yr old, a 6yr old and she also has a 2yr old and she works out of her home so also has to make time for that. Quite often the whole routine drives her nuts and she constantly wonders if she's made a mistake by trying to HS. This is her first year. The kids begged to be hs'd but now that they are,they fuss about having to do their work,they want to play,etc.etc. My humble opinion is that even if they never learn anything.....which of course they will,by osmosis if nothing else.....at least they're safe!! The recent school shootings would be enough reason for me to hs. I don't think i'm alone in the feeling that it's all going to get worse before it gets better.......
So to those of you who are struggling,wondering if you can do it,if you should do it, if you've lost your mind,etc. just remember....your kids are your most precious possession and if they learn nothing today,there's still tomorrow,and you know that your kids are home and safe. I wish i'd
known about hs'ing when my daughter was in middle school. She went thru hell,as many poor kids do these days.....
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so gald to hear that you support your daughter "batwing". It is wonderful to have that support, I wish all mothers were that kind.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
sherimc
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am in the same situation you were in originally. I am in Texas andd I pulled my kids out of PS today. My stomach is messed up and I'm wondering if I made a mistake.There is so much info I am confused now. I don't know where to start. What did you end up doing?
Thank you
Sheri
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you 'batwing' for sharing that as well as for supporting your daughter..

sherimc wrote:
Hi, I am in the same situation you were in originally. I am in Texas andd I pulled my kids out of PS today. My stomach is messed up and I'm wondering if I made a mistake.There is so much info I am confused now. I don't know where to start. What did you end up doing?
Thank you
Sheri

Sheri, where to start? you're in a good place for that.
there is the forum here, and you can look up the local homeschoolers group
in your part of this magnificent Republic.. Smile
here is a start:

http://www.texashomeschoolers.com/links.htm
LadyBlue
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheri

I'm still doing the research. I'm going to a hs supply store later this afternoon to check out the curriculum and talk to more people.

In my heart, I just think it's the right thing to do. Everything else should fall into place around it---that's what I want to believe anyway.

I also worry about the violence that is overcoming our schools. No child is safe anymore. It used to be you could send your child to school and you knew they were, at least, safe there. But not any more. There's more hatred, anger, defiance....and it goes on and on. Plus, I don't think the teachers and staff help when they reach a frustration point and can't "get past it."

I know in my heart he doesn't belong in the public system. I've realized that a large group class setting just isn't for him. AFter the 4 year struggle of trying to get him to behave when he's there, I step back and look at the situation logically. He CAN'T--for whatever reason, probably mild to moderate ADD/ADHD--he can't think before he acts there; there's too much competition, no individualized 'service' or attention, etc. And for kids like him, it angers and frustrates them to the point they become labeled "problem childeren" in the school system. And yet, the schools aren't interested in what's best for our children (in my opinion)--they don't want to lose these kids because they lose state money for each child they lose. So sad---our kids ought to be first.

My best friend and I were talking about it last week. She's been a juvenile probation officer for over 20 years and she deals with the REAL problem children daily. She said the teachers make a lot of the same mistakes with these kids----in the middle of something, they make a change. She said kids like that don't deal with sudden change--you just can't do that. And we believe that my son is not alone out there--he can't be the only one who's not really a problem child, but he's labeled a behavior problem at school; and yet, at home, he's fine.

So now it's a matter of just getting it all together. It'll happen--and more than likely, by the time the Thanksgiving holiday rolls around I've have things set up and in place.

So--Sherri--you'll do what's best for you. And if you're not sure now, just pray and listen to your heart. I looked into this over a year ago--started all the research, etc. and just wasn't sure if I could do it or if it was the right thing. After all, there's other things going on and how to work the schedules around it? I let it go at that time thinking things will work themselves out--he'll grow out of it.

But here it is again. I think God's trying to tell me something.

I'm also looking into other hs groups in the area where my son can get involved in extra curricular activites and such. He needs interaction--he also needs individualism. I want to see him become a happier child.

Keep doing what you're doing---and all these wonderful people here on this board will lead you in the right direction if you decide it's what you need to do. I found them while researching all I could about hs. I don't think it was by accident.

Good Luck---and hey, where are you located? I'm a little northwest of Houston.
LadyBlue
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheri--here's a good resource I've found also:

http://homeschoolfreestuff.com/

It's got a lot of good information, kits and hs 'fun' kits for next to nothing. Give them a shot also.
sherimc
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
I am in Crowley just SW of Ft Worth. I guess I will venture out today and see what I can find. My mistake is that I have already pulled my kids from school and need to get started soon. The main thing I am having trouble with is what all I really need as far as curricullum and what kind of records and grades I need to keep. I'm not sure how that all works yet. Thanks for the help.
Sheri
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherimc wrote:
Thank you
I am in Crowley just SW of Ft Worth. I guess I will venture out today and see what I can find. My mistake is that I have already pulled my kids from school and need to get started soon. The main thing I am having trouble with is what all I really need as far as curricullum and what kind of records and grades I need to keep. I'm not sure how that all works yet. Thanks for the help.
Sheri
hmmm

these folks may be too far then

the closest store to you is Duncanville

http://www.homeeducatorsresource.com/

you should give them a call though, they have been very
helpful to us at their Lewisville store...

mark
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what grade levels are we looking at here?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheri, don't be in too much of a hurry to start a curriculum. Letting a child relearn the love of learning is going to take some time. Play some games, go for walks, talk about what they what to learn about. Look things up at the library, but don't push too much. Let them be children for a while.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
sherimc
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2nd grader, 5th grader and 7th grader. They were all above average in PS so I have this fear of holding them back and they get behind. So I am a bit panicky I'm sure. I am getting more comfortable. I know it will take time. Mark, do you keep your own records?
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, we keep our own records, but the thing in Texas is, there is no need
to sweat it until they hit 9th grade, you've still got some time to get
a system sorted out. Smile

mark
sherimc
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told about someone in our school district that pulled her son to homeschool him thru 7-8th and when she tried to re-enroll to PS in 9th she was told he would have to restart in 7th grade. Something to do with the TAKS testing they are required in PS now. Do you know anything about that?
Thanks
Sheri
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherimc wrote:
I was told about someone in our school district that pulled her son to homeschool him thru 7-8th and when she tried to re-enroll to PS in 9th she was told he would have to restart in 7th grade. Something to do with the TAKS testing they are required in PS now. Do you know anything about that?
Thanks
Sheri
sounds like the garbage that Lewisville was pulling a while back..
To be honest I haven't considered that cause they are not getting their
mitts on my kids. My son is in 9th now and my daughter is in 5th.

From what I recall of people that were going HS to PS in the Lewisville area,
they have a really weird test that is required. The questions I heard
were rather ambiguous. Then they got stuffed in a lower grade where
they were bored stiff.

Again, I do not intend for mine to go that route, but if you think it would
be necessary for yours to do so, keep in mind the curriculum that the
local school district uses so that you can do test prep as needed.

interesting note for you.. your kids can take the standardized tests to make
sure they are at grade level or above.. contact your local homeschool
association and see what they have set up in that regard.

mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: