Young Gardeners

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

nep
User

Young Gardeners

Postby nep » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:09 pm

We are looking for a home of our own and in the process I have kept in mind that I want to start a vegetable garden as a part of my children's schooling and, of course, as a benefit for our health as well. The problem is I know next to nothing about gardening, and even less in how to involve young children. By the time we will be in our own place my two older ones will be 6 and 4. Should we start with a potted garden first? Either way it will not be large, but I just don't know how or where to start. Any help would be appreciated-- tips, good books for young and new gardeners-- anything!

Thanks so much,
nicole

Regina Hogsten

Young Gardeners

Postby Regina Hogsten » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:12 pm

Nicole,
It is always more enjoyable to start with a smaller project and then plan something bigger or scratch the idea not having lost much. Since you are just moving in it will take some time and a few seasons to formulate your ideas about the landscaping. Begin with container gardening. You can experiment with a variety of containers for you and each of the children.

Consider this a science unit with some history. The Babylonians, Greeks, Romans, South American Indians, Japanese, and Chinese from ancient times have utilized container gardens. One of ancient wonders of the world were the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Check out some of these books from the library and see the National Gardening Association www.kidsgardening.com

The New Seed Starters Handbook, Bubel, Nancy
Plants for Small Places, Donaldson, Stephanie
The Hanging Garden, Fisher, Sue
Gardening in Containers
Start With the Soil,Gershuny, Grace
Learn and Play in the Garden, Herd, Meg
The Complete Container Garden, Joyce, David
Window Box Gardening, Joyce, David
Houseplants and Container Gardens,Long, Cheryl
Growing Things,Morris, Ting
The City and Town Gardener,Yang, Linda
Rebecca’s Garden, Volume 1, Basic Gardening, DVD

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Regina

nep
User

Postby nep » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:06 pm

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”