Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

age appropriate play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: age appropriate play Reply with quote

my daughter is 9 years old and loves to play with baby dolls. She has a variety of Barbie, American Girl, Cabbage Patch...etc. The friends she still has from public school do not play with dolls. When they come over they are more into tv or music or dancing or talking on the phone. Is my daughter too immature? She can carry on an adult conversation. I guess I am concerned because we know two 18 year old homeschooled gals who everyone thinks is immature. I think they are lovely young ladies. But. I am just wondering what others may think?
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said she can carry on an adult conversation so I wouldn't worry. My kids did tend public school at one time and sometimes they'd tell me that they couldn't admit to liking Barney or Barbies etc because the other kids would tease them. My kids are mature for their ages yet they know what they like and love to play. Even my 15 yr old who holds down a job will play with the younger siblings. She says shes only doing it to amuse them but I can tell from all the giggles that shes having just as much fun playing as the younger ones. So in my humble opinion I'd try not to worry too much. I'd rather have my daughters play with dolls then watch TV or talk on the phone.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest son is the same way. In school, no one admits to playing with legos, or pretend games, but he loves them. He's only 8, but the other kids his age are already talking about girls, and getting in trouble. The funny thing is, the neighborhood kids, like to play with him, and they have a lot of fun, but they only come one at a time, they don't want to admit that they like that "stuff". I say let them mature in their play at their own speed, don't let peers pressure them into growing up so fast, let the enjoy being a kid. I wish I was one still Laughing
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: age appropriate play Reply with quote

I spent most of my free time pretending in my backyard until I was at least 14. I wasn't even homeschooled! Very Happy My parents were worried and asked my grandmother for advice. She told them not to worry. I've always been told I act particularly mature--I used to get that even then, as a young teen.

My 16-y-o DS makes me smile. He just started his first FT job this summer. He works hard for 8 hours, does his college prep courses, drives safely on the freeway and does all his almost-adult things, but he spends most of his free time making elaborate costumes and dressing up as a medieval knight. He has no interest in a local reenactment group--he just likes to play.

I think it's a very good and positive thing for adults to retain a sense of play, a good imagination, a wonder at all creation, and a love of life. My preferred form of exercise is playing games like Ring-Around-the-Rosie with my little ones. Sure beats organized sports, not to mention calisthenics!

My 39-y-o brother, a respected professional with two master's degrees, just told me yesterday that every once in a while he gets the urge to climb a tree and sing a song.

Long live childhood!

Ramona
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you for your input. I do feel alot better. I played with Barbies until I was 14, but that seems like a different planet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: