Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Speech delays really be handled at home?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRSmama
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Can Speech delays really be handled at home? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone:

I'm becoming desperate for some guidance for my 5 year old son. He was born with Pierre Robin Sequence, which is birth defects of the palate and jaw. These are largely repaired/resolved, but his rough start has caused global developmental delays (1+years at least). He does not speak, but babbles and verbalizes alot these days. He does some signs. He's not toilet trained (we're workin' on it) I'm convinced he's brighter than the testing can reveal, but that's not my issue right now...

I want to homeschool my children, however I 'gave in' and sent Jairus to preschool at 3 years of age because his speech and occupational therapists insisted he needed the interaction of the other children. They were right to a point. He loved it. Because he was going due to developmental delays, it was completely subsidized by our city.
We've just moved to a new city and they have different rules. Because he is 5 and 'should' be in school, they will not pay for preschool and we can't afford to send him. I was planning to let him do 2 mornings of preschool a week (as he has the last two years) and homeschool on the other days.
His new therapy might not even happen weekly as it was at our old children's centre, so I won't even have that for him to do as part of homeschooling. I'm feeling pressure from people in the system--the therapists, social workers and others (teachers in my family with the local school board) that Jairus NEEDS to be around the other children, and the interaction, that I can't see to his special needs at home. They think I should just put him in kindergarten where they will tailor the program to his needs and give him a full time Education Assistant.
I don't want to do this, but I don't know what else to do. Even his speech therapy will only be provided until next March, when he turns 6, and then he won't even get that. I don't know if we could afford a private therapist.

Can anyone help?
Verity, 15 months
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how it works in Canada, my sons get speech in the school even though we homeschool. they are 8 and 6. There are programs and groups you could look into. Put your foot down and say, "look I AM homeschooling, help me do what is best for his special needs" see what they say, they may not be giving you all the options.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
january
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 5 year old son. I did what the speech therapist said my son didn't even like going to his speech therapist he wasnt't progressing. I just let him talk all on his through any means possible. I even put him thru preschool that in was a BIG mistake. The teachers said that my son was a hazzard outside because he has a hard time listening (they even separated him from the other kids),they also said that he had autism (which he does not) and I had to wait until they got funding for and extra teacher. It was August that I registered my son and we pulled him out of preschool in October that same year because they didn't have the help that they needed.This year I decided to homeschool becasue in BC they don't need to be registered until the are 6. I really did my research for this and found out that there are different learning styles in the way kids learn.I also bought Jump Start Advanced Kindergarten which was the best thing I bought so far and is cheap and can last for 3 years pre-k to grade 1 or grade 2 I can't remember. I also found a website that can teach your kids how to read at www.starfall.com. I also on the internet that children with speech delay can have CAPD (central auditory processing disorder) where a child's brain can not process the information they hear because the brain and the ears do not fully coordinate. So I found that out and have started speaking more clearly to my son and he is catching on rather quickly.Just remember to use pictures with words it helps a lot and as for the toilet training I am in the same boat you are my son is not potty trained yet either but I have found a kitchen timer does wonders.Set the time for an hour and speak clearly and tell him what it is you want him to do in a short sentence and he'll eventually catch on. Smile
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great reminder to speak clearly and slowly. AS moms we can be in quite a rush and it is hard to learn any language when it is always thrown at you at warp speed. Articulation disorders are a little different. I have two boys with Apraxia and one with articulation problems. with Artic it is a problem to get hte mouth to do what you wnat it to. Some excercises are blowing bubbles, eating peanut butter on a NUK brush (a beginner tooth brush with nubs instead of brustles), stimulating his mouth, with cold (pops), then asking him to say certain sounds, vowels are the most important if he can say all the vowel sounds then he will be able to get the rest more quickly. If you have any more questions let me know.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: