Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NCAA ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
promisekeeper
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: NCAA ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS Reply with quote

My daughter was home schooled from grades 4-8. She attended a private Christian High school for grades 9-12. She is an athlete who is being recruited to play basketball at Division I level colleges.

I have been asked by an academic advisor from one of the colleges for the following information regarding my daughters homeschooling years....

1. Do you have a listing of the home schooling guidelines for Missouri? (via the association?)
2. Who was the administrator of my daughters home schooling?
3. Do you still have the original texts used? (If so, is it possible to get copies of the tables of contents?)
4. Do you have a copy of the written schedule during her home schooling days?
5. Is there a copy of the home-schooled transcript?

My question is.... does the NCAA actually require this information if my daughter was home schooled before she even entered the 9th grade?

Are they not only interested in her Core class gpa and her ACT or SAT scores?

Why would any information be required prior to the 9th grade?

Would appreciate anyone's advice or information regarding this issue.... and if you have an NCAA link that clarify's these requirements I would appreciate it.

Thank you...

p.s.... we reside in Missouri
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not believe they would ask this.

The #1 is easy. Give them this site:
http://www.dese.mo.gov/schoollaw/HomeSch/homeschool.htm

This is the Missouri Department of Elem. and Seconday Education offical web site and their rulling on Home schooling and home schooling law.

This the over all DESE Page on Home schooling: http://www.dese.mo.gov/schoollaw/HomeSch/
promisekeeper
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

iamnettie wrote:
I can not believe they would ask this.

The #1 is easy. Give them this site:
http://www.dese.mo.gov/schoollaw/HomeSch/homeschool.htm

This is the Missouri Department of Elem. and Seconday Education offical web site and their rulling on Home schooling and home schooling law.

This the over all DESE Page on Home schooling: http://www.dese.mo.gov/schoollaw/HomeSch/

I have seen the web page you were linking me to. But the problem is, it does say...

5. A parent who is home schooling a child must maintain the following records:

a. A plan book, diary, daily log, or other written record indicating the subjects taught and the activities engaged in with the student.
b. A portfolio containing samples of the student's academic work.
c. A record of evaluation of the student's academic progress.
d. Other written, or credible evidence equivalent to a, b, and c.

But again we are talking about a child who was home schooled BEFORE starting in 9th grade. I do understand that those records should have been maintained, but I am wondering why NCAA would care about something that happened before high school.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah I can't see why they would care prior to High School either. I would tell them you state requirements (assuming you do) and leave it at that.
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NCAA ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS Reply with quote

promisekeeper wrote:
I have been asked by an academic advisor from one of the colleges for the following information regarding my daughters homeschooling years....

I can't help as far as what the NCAA requires or what they're allowed to ask for. You'd think though that if your daughter went to a public/private elementary school, the name, city & state would suffice & they probably wouldn't look anything up. This is probably someone's bias against homeschooling, and they're snooping.

However, Missouri law does require some recordkeeping, so you should have records, although I don't know how long you're required to hold on to them.

promisekeeper wrote:
1. Do you have a listing of the home schooling guidelines for Missouri? (via the association?)
You can print this legal analysis from HSLDA to give them: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Missouri.pdf

promisekeeper wrote:
2. Who was the administrator of my daughters home schooling?
give the names of yourself and your husband

promisekeeper wrote:
3. Do you still have the original texts used? (If so, is it possible to get copies of the tables of contents?)
it looks the law does not require you to keep the original texts, nor provide copies of the tables on contents to anyone.

promisekeeper wrote:
4. Do you have a copy of the written schedule during her home schooling days?
you probably have this, according to Missouri law, so you could give a sample copy or two. If they'd like to see it in person, yes, but not to keep, of course.

promisekeeper wrote:
5. Is there a copy of the home-schooled transcript?
The records required by law should suffice.

It might be worth joining HSLDA for their assistance in this.
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like previous posters have said, go for the minimum, but if they balk at that, I think it would be worth joining HSLDA.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: I misunderstood, there's no reason why you should have to produce grade school records for NCAA.

Colleges will want to see proof of high school graduation. This is usually covered by taking nationally standardized tests such as AP, CLEP, DSST, but if you didn't take tests for everything, you may have to produce a portfolio of work and/or transcript. The NCAA eligibility requirements state that you must:

* Graduate from high school;
* Complete a minimum of 14* core courses;
* Present a minimum grade-point average (GPA) in those 14 core courses; and
* Present a qualifying test score on either the ACT or SAT test.

Emphasis mine. They just want to make sure that the high school graduation requirements have been met. Whether or not this is required by law, I don't know for sure, but this is the reason why all of us have tested out of as many subjects as possible, or taken community college courses. It simplifies things for colleges.

Last edited by Theodore on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, here you go.

It's about the requirements if the student was homeschooled in high school. It doesn't say anything whatsoever about elementary school. The sort of questions the NCAA has asked about your daughter's homeschooling years are the same ones they're supposed to ask if she was homeschooled in high school (even down to the text book, etc..).

Someone there is definitely being snoopy, and overstepping their legal bounds.
promisekeeper
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information. I questioned the coach and they were making a mistake - they thought she was home schooled in high school

They need no such information from grade school..

Thanks for the help all..

God bless...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: