how to create a curriculum

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ccrdh82
User

how to create a curriculum

Postby ccrdh82 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:47 am

I am still trying to decide how to help my 16 year old with choosing a curriculum. I was wondering: I found a biology book that I think she would like at amazon.com. It says that question and answers for review and self testing are included. Is this something I could use or does it have to have a separate workbook and tests for it to "count". Do I have to get hings that say specifically they are for homeschooling?

Sometimes my head is spinning from all the info out there! My dd is not someone who likes to sit for a long time with her nose in a book. She wants to pursue an art career so she is very hands on and likes to create things. So I am trying to be creative with her resourses to get the core subjects done. ANY input would be appreciated. :?
momof4teens

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu May 17, 2007 9:04 am

Morgan
User

Postby Morgan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:48 pm

Your purchased textbooks can be for anything, such as...

- Self-practice books designed for students who need help catching up on a subject

- Made-for-homeschooling books

- Even textbooks designed for use in public schools

All of the above are the same. Depending on the publishing company, the above textbooks have virtually the same content. For Biology, I went with a textbook which was made particularly for student practice, but it worked just as well as any other textbook I've ever used, if not better. Self-practice books designed for students that need a boost in their class tend to be more explanatory than others. But you can go by your own - and your child's - judgment of the book's content.
"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- George Bernard Shaw

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:50 pm

ccrdh82
User

creating a curriculum

Postby ccrdh82 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Thanks for those ideas. I've been away from the forum for awhile so I haven't seen the replies. I am so gratetful for them. I think I'm finally not so scared about the homeschooling! I gave myself a break from all the info out there and all the choices! Anyway it helps to hear someone used those slf-practice books because I've been looking at those and they seemed like a good resource. I just wasn't sure they would be enough. So thanks for that. Also I am definitely going to have my daughter give her input. I am finally relaxed enough to feel that if what I got her to use isn't working we can change midway through if we have to. I figured she will have to learn by trial and error what works best for her. I have set aside many, many websites with all types of resources for her with many different styles of learning.

I do have a question. She still is pretty set on going to art school. Do I have to really go seriosly indepth with the labs for her biology and chemistry? I know they have virtual labs. Would they be enough do you think?

I sure do value your opinions. Thanks so much
momof4teens

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:29 pm

Are you asking if art colleges will want proof that your daughter did adequate science labs?

If so, I'd say, probably not. However you will want to know that she did.

My understanding is that most colleges go by the score on the ACT or SAT depending on what part of the country you are in and a high school transcript.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:26 am

Return to “High School / College Prep”